News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm 

I received a phone call today.

Caller: “There is a fault on your computer”
Me: “Oh dear, is there?”
Caller: “Yes, it's urgent that it is repaired.”
Me: “Oh dear, what do I have to do.”
Caller: “Are you in front of your computer?”
Me: “Yes”
Caller: “What do see?”
Me: “A blank screen.”
Caller: “Is the computer switched on.”
Me: “Yes it is, but it is asleep, presenting a blank screen.”
Caller: Press any key to wakeup the computer.”
Me: “OK, I've done that.”
Caller: “ Can you see anything on the screen?
Me: Yes, I can see the document I'm working on.”
Caller: “Do you see a key on the bottom left-hand side of your keyboard marked 'Ctrl'.”
Me: “Yes, I do.”
Caller: “What key do you see immediately to the right of that key.”
Me: “ I see a key with the Windows logo on it.”
Caller: “That's good; now press that Windows key and the 'R' key at the same time.”
Me: “Yes, I've done that.”
Caller: “What do you see?”
Me: “The page on the document I'm working on has been indented and scrolled down one page.”
Caller: Please press the 'Ctrl' key only.”
Me: “I've done that.”
Caller: “What do you see?”
Me: “I see the main Linux operating system menu screen.”
Caller: “YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME!”
Me: “Correction, you are wasting my time.”
Caller: “GO AWAY!”
Me: “I was about to say the same thing to you.” At least I've wasted some of the time you could have used leading some other innocent person astray.”
Caller dropped the line.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:14 pm 

Good on you! If I have time, I love wasting these arrogant thieves time

My mother in law - who was 78 and worryingly believed (and still does) everyone who knocked on her door - rushed to the PC, logged on and helped them rape her hard drive

Its these vulnerable people - not just old people, but those with little to no IT savvy - that these gits prey on

So waste their time and keep it going for a long time

My last one was a year or so ago. After a while I was getting a bit bored, and my supper was ready so I told the conman that my son has just come home. "He's a Policeman and knows all about computers. I will pass you to hi..............." he was gone :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:56 pm 

I know of somebody who suffered major inconvenience because of one of those calls.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 am 

Before the caller dropped the line, he shouted “I WILL BREAK INTO YOUR COMPUTER!”. Which was an admission that the purpose of his calling was to break into my computer.

About a week ago I had a similar phone call. I put the phone down without entering into a dialogue with the man. I decided then that if a similar call comes through I would waste their time.

These types of pests have become a major source of irritation, hardly a day goes by without a potential fraudster phoning. I've had several calls recently from people claiming to offer assistance with a motor accident claim. A few days ago a man phoned to say it's been reported that you have had a motor accident (I hadn't). I asked him who reported this information. He went into a loop of repeats, “It's been reported”, in response to my repeated request for him to divulge the reporter. Eventually he dropped the line.

'Financial advisers' calling to offer 'advise' are another major source of unnecessary and unwanted irritation.

Solar panel sales people are also a source of unwanted calls.

With so many of these bogus callers, I assume they must be making serious money from the unwary. Greed, deceit, dishonesty, fraud, lies, and theft appear to be the hallmark of modern society. Remember the days when we could leave our front doors unlocked without fear of being invaded?

These days we aren't safe behind our locked and barred doors and windows; the internet of things has made all of us vulnerable, even in our beds. Smart meters spy on us, smart TVs are potentially watching and listening to us, mobile phones can be remotely controlled by the spies, new cars are fitted with spy chips monitoring our driving, and our computers are a relatively easy target for those wishing to steal our personal data (especially since the arrival of Windows 10); computers that Government is effectively insisting that we all have in order to access Government and local government 'services'. Now I understand that Microsoft want to include a major part of Windows 10 in all appliances.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:46 am 

I don't understand why the authorities aren't able to do more to trace them and prevent the calls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:52 am 

Jon wrote:
I don't understand why the authorities aren't able to do more to trace them and prevent the calls.
I agree. I believe the will is lacking; but why? Maybe because 'they' are all at it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 pm 

I never used to get many of that type at all.

I used to have some fun with them, like you did, but it got a bit boring after a while. I got a new set of BT phones a while ago with TrueCall built in and that has cut them all out. If the number is not on my whitelist they have to announce who they are. They can't be bothered.