News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am 

There is a guy on another forum who is an ambulance driver. He has asked a number of Plod what their take on the new law is and they all have different views.

Some say in a holder is fine whilst others are saying any touching is illegal. No clear cut.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

In my opinion, the law/laws, or even interpretation of the law concerning the use of mobile phones whilst driving are somewhat irrelevant. Driving with, or without, “due care and attention” is the issue. To drive “without due care and attention” is a catch-all offence, irrespective of the distraction the driver has allowed him/herself to be occupied with; such as using a mobile phone, changing discs on a CD player, lighting or extinguishing a cigarette, adjusting a SatNav, reading, even wearing headphones or playing very loud music that closes off the important sense of the driver's hearing.

The real problem is, there are too few police patrolling the roads to stop and question offenders who are driving “without due care and attention”. We now have a CCTV 'police service' that is primarily concerned with automatic camera-based prosecutions for easily identified technical offences; such as marginally exceeding an arbitrary speed limit, or entering a bus lane, regardless of whether or not any danger is actually presented to other road users. The police have largely been reduced to revenue collectors of automatic fines.

We shouldn't need to be told, by 'law', what is distracting to a driver. As drivers, we should all be very much aware of the dangers, to others, and ourselves, that not paying full attention to our driving presents; our being politically conditioned to stop thinking for ourselves hasn't helped either. We need real and responsible police patrolling the roads, police officers who are are prepared to offer stern corrective advise as a first step to any driver they pull in. Automatic prosecution does not improve road safety; but a good dressing down from a reasonable police officer can have a huge impact. I can still remember the dressing down I received from a good police patrol officer when I was a sixteen year old motor cyclist who had done something that can only be described as, insane. That dressing down had an immideiate and profound impact on me; far more than a fine would have done. The gratitude I felt towards that officer was/is immense. I wish there were hundreds more like him today.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 am 

Well after a few miles this week , i asked a few drivers what there take on it was , the answer
yes you have to be care when you fiddle with the phone, if there is a chance you can be seen !!
Me it was lovely 500 miles , with the phone of , bliss , just pulled over every hour or two , to check .

I am waiting for my employer to ask why i dont answer the phone now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:27 pm 

John, my employer states that the use of a mobile must only be through an in-car device or Bluetooth headset, but no phone use would be the ideal! Many staff have decided to set their work mobiles to auto-text response 'Sorry I could not take your call, I am currently driving and will respond when safe to do so' - so far the company have not objected

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 pm 

In the last few days I've seen loads of people still on handheld mobiles glued to their ear while driving. I'd love to see one caught.