News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Smart Meter information
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:13 am 

http://www.smartme.co.uk/customer-rights.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/ ... eters.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 am 

I'm still turning them down.

If the electric meter terminals are not tightened properly then it apparently causes some form of vibration that starts fires. There is a technical reason and these smart meter monkeys are rushing.

Also, the meters being currently fitted are not the ones that are multi-company so it restricts your ability to smoothly change suppliers.

As and when the deadline approaches surely installations will be more of a rush = more dangerous installations ?

The above links point to EON and EDF being the rogues. Not at all surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 am 

Kremmen I agree with you about loose connections. Loose connections result in 'ohmic joints', which are joints/connections that can ark, consume energy, and get hot, particularly when under heavy current load. Smart meters can also be remotely controlled to switch off/on the power supply to the user; which means there must be some type of switching/relay device within the smart meter that may also become ohmic itself, possibly adding to the fire risk.

The risk of fires will only increase as more people charge electric car batteries at home. I understand that some car chargers are capable of demanding 11 'Killerwatts', that's 48 amps from the 230 volt supply.

The prospect of badly trained fitters installing smart gas meters is scary beyond belief. At least with an electrical fire there is a chance of escape, but a gas explosion is all over too quickly.

Last edited by Westonman on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am 

Funny you mention that 48 Amps for car charging. I've seen similar published recently.

The highest rating we've currently got is 30 amps for cookers and some shower units. In the case of cookers it's not the oven but the possibility of using all 4 electric hobs together. That's what draws the power.

48 amps will likely overheat internal house wiring as it's not designed for that sort of draw. I think the master fuse is 60 amps but even that has been known to blow when charging some cars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:51 am 

Kremmen, I believe you are correct. Some time ago I requested that a 60 Amp company fuse be uprated to 100 Amps so as to cope with my garage supply.

I understand that modern electric showers, the type we are officially advised to use instead of a bath, consume about 8 Kws of electric energy, that's 35 Amps in real money.

The electric cooker, plus the microwave oven, electric shower, and electric car charger all going flat out at the same time in hundreds of homes on a frosty Sunday morning, could produce sufficient demand to cook a few wind turbines and cause a number of domestic fires. It's a shame that the political class don't understand the facts of life in a modern society.

Now we should be able to see the real reason for Smart Meters that can remotely disconnect users when the demand becomes 'critical'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:23 am 

Wait till a camera sees your car taking a different route from the one Google told you to take, 50 carbon credits are deducted from your account as punishment, leaving you overdrawn on carbon credits, so your fridge is turned off ...all before you get home!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:19 am 

I don't understand why they don't produce electric cars with a tiny 50cc engine, just to charge the batteries. It would produce far less pollution than a hybrid engine and would largely eliminate the need to charge overnight at 48 amps or whatever rate.

The big bonus would be that it would increase the range to whatever the 50cc fuel tank was capable of.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:43 am 

Ha ha... that actually sounds quite sensible! But then when you realise that of course losses will be involved converting the energy to electricity before converting it to motion, you realise how daft the whole green thing is, because ALL the electricity for electric cars has to be generated first, mainly by one of the forms the greenies are against.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm 

I know !

I'd be happy with a little putt-putt engine ticking away, when needed, to top up the onboard battery pack. At the moment most electric cars have a ridiculous range and they want us all to have trailing cables to a nearby lamppost when away from home.

Some wag will come along with secateurs overnight - bound to happen. Then you have no backup.

Who thinks these things up ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 pm 

Jon wrote:
Ha ha... that actually sounds quite sensible! But then when you realise that of course losses will be involved converting the energy to electricity before converting it to motion, you realise how daft the whole green thing is, because ALL the electricity for electric cars has to be generated first, mainly by one of the forms the greenies are against.
That is the INCONVENIENT TRUTH that the greenies and the political class will not accept or acknowledge.

Any energy conversion achieving 80% efficiency is doing very well indeed. Every electrical/mechanical/chemical conversion creates heat, and the heat represents inefficiency. There is no such thing as 100% efficiency in this world. The first law of thermodynamics; "work is heat, and heat is work". Work produces heat, and the heat represents inefficiency of conversion. Any device/machine with ventilation holes, fans, heat sinks, water cooling, etc. is an admission that there is a less than 100% conversion efficiency.

I realise that Jon and Kemmen understand what I' saying in this reply to Jon. But this needs telling as frequently as possible these days because too many people out there do not understand the basic facts that the so-called green agenda is deceitfully hiding.

Even 'wasteful' filament bulbs that get very hot in use are not as wasteful as the green politicos make out they are; the heat produced by the bulb in use is added to the heating of the building/home/work place, etc. and offsets the gas heating required to heat a building.

All those electric cars that are planned by the insane green agenda will be wasting huge quantities of heat energy when being charged. The vast majority of vehicle charging will take place outdoors, where the heat produced will 100% wasted.