News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm 

In the newscast linked to below it is reported that British Military top brass, answering questions at a Parliamentary Defence Committee yesterday, described the British Army, Royal Navy, and Royal Air Force as: “Hollowed out”; “Isn't fit for purpose”; “Twenty years out of date”; “Close to breaking point”; We're failing to protect the country”; “We can't defend the island”.

The responsibility for the situation described in the newscast, if accurate, can be laid at the feet of the British political class; with a large part of the responsibility also belonging to the British mainstream media for not investigating and reporting in plain language what has been failrly clear to see for decades.

Likewise, the British electorate isn't completely without responsibility either. The process of closing bases; destroying squadrons; merging and destroying battalions; scrapping ships, aircraft, and various types of military hardware; and declaring highly skilled military personnel redundant, has been going on since the late 1970s. So all colours of political parties are guilty, as are their supporters.

Here is the link to the newscast:
https://www.ukcolumn.org/ukcolumn-news/ ... ember-2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:44 am 

At one time we could afford to fund the Military and Police, etc as required.

I can't help feeling that paying the £350m to Brussels every week has a lot to do with this sorry state.

Plus, why do we insist on sending obscene amounts of money overeas in 'foreign aid' when we are struggling with our own in hospital corridors.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
At one time we could afford to fund the Military and Police, etc as required.

I can't help feeling that paying the £350m to Brussels every week has a lot to do with this sorry state.

Plus, why do we insist on sending obscene amounts of money overeas in 'foreign aid' when we are struggling with our own in hospital corridors.

Kremmen, I agree with you, the Government, of whatever colour we have, never has a problem with handing OUR money over to the undemocratic EU.

From the newscast above (I provided the link), it's reported that the money that would normally have gone to the British Military is now being redirected, by our own government, to the EU for its developing military system. If that is true and accurate then there is no shortage of money; and we are witnessing the deliberate political destruction of the British Military, and the United Kingdom. Without an independent British Military there is no independent UK. Neither is there a Brexit.

When I was working, I used to make frequent visits to RN bases and dockyards. Back in the 60s and 70s all our RN dockyards were very busy places, with lots of visible evidence of there being a large navy available. Today that is not the case; Chatham Dockyard is now a museum and a base for pleasure yachts; Portland is empty of RN vessels, Devonport Dockyard has effectively been reduced to a ghost town; RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall hasn't had any fixed wing aircraft for about four or five years now; and RN Dockyard Portsmouth is a shadow of its former self. I visited RN Dockyard Portsmouth about about five years ago, much of it had been converted to a museum and 'Visitors Centre' for children, and the only RN ships I could see were being prepared for scrap by contractors.
As I said in my previous post, the evidence of a declining British Military has been highly visible for a very long time.

How is an island nation such as ours supposed to defend itself without an effective and fully functional Navy? Answer: We can't, because it seems that the politicians don't want us to be an independent and free nation any more.

First the public was disarmed, and no longer able to carry arms in order to defend itself against excessive authority; then the civil police took on the appearqance of a paramilitary organisation that is armed to the teeth; then the military was broken down and scrapped, with the money handed over to an undemocratic foreign power. What happens next is anybody's guess, but it probably isn't for our wellbeing and freedom.

With the loss of the British Military there also comes the loss of the defence industry and the technical and engineering employment it created. The defence industry provided cutting edge technology to the whole of the nation's engineering base. The rolling redundancies for engineering jobs at companies such as Rolls Royce bears witness to this truth. And every primary contractor provides work for numerous sub-contractors around towns like Derby; or one time Hayes in Middlesex.

No defence industry, effectively means no engineering jobs providing meaningful wealth generating well paid jobs across the whole nation. Without a technical engineering base and its support businesses we become a nation of low paid jobs; such as shelf-stacking, fast food outlets, coffee shops, beauty salons, and odd-jobbers. Oops! We've already reached that point, and nobody saw it coming.

Now we have a young generation that's finding it increasingly difficult to afford a 'home of their own' on low paid jobs. And the political response is to demonise the elderly who have saved and accumalted assets through their working lives. So that the responsible elderly are now percieved as the wealth plunders preventing the young from buying a home.