News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Be Aware
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 am 

Toto energy are doing the rounds.

Their doorstep ploy is to offer you a free smart meter within days. He went on to say that his company 'Toto' were the exclusive smart meter suppliers and fitters and do it for other companies. Not true.

I told them I don't want a smart meter until the next generation are available. He then said they were fitting them now. I find that hard to believe as currently only a small number of BG customers are trialling them.

He then went on saying that all I have to do is sign up with Toto and they will do the rest.

Subsequently Googling Toto gives a story of many 1 star reviews because a zero star rating isn't possible. Their review average is 1.3 out of 5.

Beware.

Post subject: Re: Be Aware
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 am 

I don't ever want a smart meter, but I'm sure they will become unavoidable one way or another.

Post subject: Re: Be Aware
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 am 

There has been a lot of adverse reports about them recently.

The first generation SMETs1 meters are linked to the company who supplies them, they are unreliable, unsafe, and a hack risk. If you change companies they become dumb.

The second generation SMETs2 meters are currently only in trial by some BG customers but GCHQ have found a number of security issues that they are working on.

The worst case scenario is that a hacker can cut off your power remotely or, worst case, as reported, can cause the units to explode.

The SMETs2 meters rollout has now been delayed from Oct 2018 to an unspecified date in 2019.