News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Ecological cars
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:45 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG81A17vQYw

Post subject: Re: Ecological cars
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:38 pm 

I can see the day coming when cars and roads will be priced so that only the wealthy will be able to use them, 'the rest of us' will have to use public transport. Many environmental improvements come at a cost, limitations on personal freedom.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 pm 

The whole of the green agenda is about centralised control, total control of everybody and everything that is not part of the 'elite'.

Britain's roads are in an atrocious condition. We're told there isn't the money to fix them, but there is always money to install more control systems that reduce traffic flow, increase inconvenience to the motorist, and raise the cost of car ownership and driving.

The political class are constantly 'concerned' about what they refer to as 'hate crime,' but their own policies and actions towards the public, if carried out by the public, would be classed as 'hate crimes'.

As that YouTube video I linked to above reports; electric cars are highly dangerous fire risks because of all the stored electrical energy they contain. And when a fire does break out it is effectively uncontrollable because all the elements necessary to sustain a fire are built into the storage battery system itself, and the storage batteries are underneath the passenger compartment.

One of my last tasks before retiring was to neutralise the risks of fire and electric shock from high energy electric storage systems that the HSE and crimed within a manufacturing environment that wasn't accessible by the general public. But it's OK to legislate to politically insist that electric cars are the only acceptable means of private transport available to the public, cars that contain similar quantities of stored electrical energy that I was required to protect against, cars that carry a very high degree of uncontrollable fire and electric shock risks when things do go wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 am 

I'm not at all happy with electric vehicles either.

By 2040 I won't be driving but in my case electric would cost more as I only do 1k to 2k miles a year so keeping the batteries topped up would cost a lot more than me just CTEK my current battery every week or 2.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am 

Kremmen,
I too have a CTEK for charging my battery. In my opinion, they are the best charger avaialable. They also have a reconditioning function for cleaning the battery's plates once a year. Modern car batteries are not the same as the older bog standard lead/acid batteries, and bog standard chargers can't fully charge some modern batteries, they certainly won't fully charge the battery in my car. I isn't good for the battery to be left in a partially discharged state for very long either.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:00 pm 

I have some months, especially winter, when mine never moves but the CTEK keeps mine topped up and ready to roll.

I just connect it up every 7 to 10 days if I haven't used the car then give it about 6 hours to go green. Unplug till the next time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:13 pm 

My situation is very similar to yours. I do about 6000 miles per year, and the bulk of that is between April and September. I tend to hibernate through the short daylight days of the winter months. As you say, the CTEK keeps my battery topped up.

I used to enjoy night driving, but these days I find the careless, and largely unnecessary use of bright headlights and fog-lamps at night too uncomfortable for my eyes, especially on reflective wet roads. Driving against some of these modern high lumen output headlamps is very painful, and dangerous. Another pain in the eyes is caused by the driver who insists on waiting with their foot on the footbrake, with the modern large arrays of bright red lights blinding the drivers waiting behind. Whatever happened to handbrakes, aren't they fitted to many modern cars, does their use no longer form part part of the driving test?

There is the all too common problem where drivers leaving a roundabout will not signal left before they exit the roundabout. Another lamp problem is when facing oncoming traffic with its headlamps blazing away into our eyes; I find that many front flashing signal indicators of approaching cars are virtually impossible to see against their modern high output headlamps; the relatively low lumen output of the signal indicator becomes lost in the high lumen output from the adjacent blazing headlamp, especially in the wet.

I now take the soft option and try to stay indoors during those long dark nights of winter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 am 

Long gone are the days when a day out in the car is a pleasure.

Too many Jack the lads out there speeding, cutting in and out and tailgating.