News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 pm 

If true, it's frightening ...

https://youtu.be/BToqEvCAdPo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am 

For many years I worked within engineering spheres of laser technology, microwave technology, and with radioactive isotopes. I also worked closely with Health Physicists, whose responsibility was the health, care, and the protection of employees from the hazards of all radiations.

My router is not normally wireless enabled, it feeds direct into my “wired” network around the home. Yes, I do have some devices that can only be connected to the network by wireless, such as Kindle readers; for these devices I only activate the wireless link on the router in order to achieve a download to the device, and immediately disable the wireless connection of the router after download completion. All wireless only devices also have their wireless function disabled when not actually connected to the router for downloads, updates, etc. Even a laptop computer is connected to the wired network – not the wireless network, and the laptop's wireless connection is also disabled.

The risks presented by microwaves is the primary reason that I will not have “smart meters” installed in my property. Smart meters use the mobile phone technology to remain in contact with the energy suppliers.

I do have a mobile phone, but it's only used for emergencies – such as car breakdowns, etc. At all other times the mobile phone is switched off. This also leaves me free from being in constant and largely unnecessary contact and demandsfrom the world. Wherever possible, I prefer to use a land-line phone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:04 pm 

If you turn off a Fibre router overnight then BT's DLM (Digital Line Management) will keep cutting your speed as it thinks you have a problem. It will keep reducing your speed until it detects a clean 24hr connection - so don't if you qualify.

My router is configured to require authentication before any new devices are allowed to connect. So far, over 4 years of various Asus routers, currently a Asus RT-AC68U, I've had no unknown requests.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:55 pm 

I use a separate fibre cable modem, that is Ethernet connected to my router. The modem is switched on 24/7 because of the speed reduction system that BT and others employ. My router is a Billion 7800, which is user configurable, and the wireless mode can be user disabled over the in-home Ethernet. I can also switch off the router when not in use, without affecting the connection speed sensing system by BT etc.

I also configure the Billion router to block any unwanted web pages, organisations, etc. from getting into my home/system.

I suspect the majority of people are using ISP provided modem routers, which from my experience, tend not to be user configurable as is the Billion.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:35 am 

Good point.

My modem and router are separate so turning off the router probably wouldn't affect DLM.

Wifi is all around us though. I can see a couple of dozen signals on my tablet, some of which are quite strong, especially this BT with Fon one that allows anyone with a BT account to access your router, at your energy cost, albeit small, as part of their roaming deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm 

I never knew that turning off your router could result in a slower speed, you learn something new every day!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:41 am 

Actually it's your Modem, usually the white Openreach box, that must be left on as that's what BT DLM talks to.

If you are on LLU connections then you can turn it off because LLU pushes out the max ADSL speed regardless as it doesn't check (not BT).

Some routers have a sleep mode but if like me you have 24x7 security cameras then it needs to be up and running.

My Netgear ArloQ (the powered variety) are superb and I highly recommend them:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5586574

I've got 2 churning away. I can view my lounge and front door from anywhere, plus it gives me text alerts if the beam is broken.