News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Heathrow Third Runway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:43 am 

What's everybody's thoughts on the proposed third runway north-west of Heathrow which is about to be voted on imminently in Parliament on the 25th June? I don't think Hayes will be directly affected by plane noise and certainly it will provide jobs for the area.

I do wish they would sort out the air pollution problems though somehow, I was thinking having a series of 'park-and-ride' style hubs around the M25 north and south of the airport would help curb some of the car traffic coming right into Heathrow and clogging up the area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am 

The biggest issue I can see is road gridlock.

Look at the Hayes By Pass now, look at the M25 western section now. If they add another third of flights, roads will be permanently gridlocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 pm 

Yes, it makes sense, it's bad now, so it will only get worse... unless they build something into the design to alleviate the congestion. I would suggest something like large park and ride car parks at the junctins north and south on the M25.

I heard somewhere that most of the air pollution around Heathrow is coming from road vehicles and not the actual planes! I'm not sure how true that is, but each time I've flown into Heathrow there is this inevitable circling of the airport because it's busy. So we go up and down London once or twice for 20 minutes all the way out to the 02 Arena in Greenwich while waiting for a spot. Hardly green to be burning tens of kilograms of fuel every minute directly over the London population! A third runway, I hope, would alleviate that issue somewhat.

Anyhow, the International Trade Minister resigned today because he couldn't face voting for the Heathrow third runway. The airport runs at 99% capacity and has no freight capacity left and he can't see the benefits of the expansion - what a pointless appointment he's turned out to be...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 am 

There's going to be a lot of legal tooing and froing before this gets started.

I can't see me still being round here in 20 years when it's supposed to be finished.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm 

To my mind it makes sense to build a third runway but I have to say I live far enough away so as not to be directly affected. Like Kremmen I probably won't be around by the time it's finished!
Why was Gatwick not chosen for expansion?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm 

There was a sarcastic post I saw somewhere that said that there is probably something or somewhere secret near Gatwick that they don't want revealed.

That would be believable as Gatwick makes so much more sense being surrounded by acres and acres of free land and no villages to demolish. Plus they don't have the traffic or pollution we have round here.

And it's doable in half an hour by train from Victoria.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:43 pm 

I see the Parliamentary vote in support of a third runway at Heathrow as proof positive that all the fuss from the political class over air pollution from cars, has having nothing whatsoever to do with truth, but everything to do with effectively banning private transport, and extracting ever-increasing tax revenue from the motorist.

I used to live in Hayes, about 3 to 4 miles from the main runway at Heathrow. When the wind was in the right direction, and coming from Heathrow, we could smell and taste the fumes from the aircraft; the fumes were of kerosene/paraffin. Our windows used to get covered with small droplets of light brown oil, such as kerosene/paraffin, so did our washing if it was hanging out to dry. Some mornings the smell of partially burned aircraft fuel was so bad that it would sting and burn the linings of the nose and throat.

I've smelled a lot of road traffic diesel and petrol fumes over my life, but I've never known traffic fumes to be anything like as bad as the aircraft fumes that came from Heathrow. Traffic fumes tend to be limited to relatively small areas close to roadside situations, but aircraft fumes from Heathrow were virtually impossible to escape from unless you travelled right out of Hayes and the surrounding area.

About twenty years ago we spent two weeks in the far north of Scotland in the vicinity of Cape Wrath. When the day came for us to return home we drove from the north of Scotland, leaving about 3 pm in the afternoon, arriving back in Hayes about 5 am the following morning. We travelled down the M6, then the M40. As we were passing through Buckinghamshire on the M40 we began to smell dirty air; the smell of dirty air became ever stronger the closer we came to Heathrow and Hayes. Arriving back in Hayes our nasal passages and throats quickly returned to the 'normally' congested state that we had become accustomed to over many years of living close to Heathrow. On our journey back from the clean air of the far north we had passed through Glasgow, through the Liverpool to Manchester road corridor, and we had driven around and over Birmingham, all areas where road traffic pollution would normally have been expected to be an issue, but it wasn't until we came into pollution range of Heathrow that we became very aware of dirty air.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:05 am 

I agree.

the amount of emissions coming out of the back of one of those jets must be colossal. And look at the distance it must chuck it.

There's a hidden agenda here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 am 

Perhaps now that Boris has been freed from Cabinet collective responsibility and hasn't got to make any more 'urgent' foreign office trips abroad he can finally lay down in front of the bull-dozers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:35 pm 

One thing I can now confirm is that none of this idiotic pollution & gridlock will affect me.

I've had enough of the nonsense Hayes has to offer so I will be moving west, somewhere around Wallingford in the next 3 years.

I will also be leaving behind this retail car park boy racer antics that seem to have started up in the last few years. Hillingdon has become a magnet for them.