News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
Advertisement

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am 

https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence
The above web page states:

Quote:
Overview

You must make sure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs (for example if they have special educational needs). You can send your child to school or educate them yourself.
Children must get an education between the school term after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 16.
You’ll be contacted by either:
• the school - if your child is enrolled in school and does not turn up (even if they’re only absent for a day)
• the council’s education welfare officer - if they think your child is not getting a suitable education at home
You can be prosecuted if you do not give your child an education. You’ll normally get warnings and offers of help from the local council first.
You can get education and attendance information from your council.

When your child can miss school
You can only allow your child to miss school if either:
• they’re too ill to go in
• you’ve got advance permission from the school
There’s extra support available if your child cannot go to school for long periods because of a health problem.

The above quote from http://www.gov.uk appears to me to be very clear - EVERY child MUST be educated.

So why isn't every child granted the full time education that our taxes are supposed to pay for?

This is personal for me because a grandchild of mine has not been in school since the beginning of this current Autumn Term. Not because the parents have failed to get the child into school, but because Hampshire County Council have failed to take all necessary steps to get the child into school in a reasonable time.

For many months the family had been in the process of moving house to the Winchester area. As soon as the chain of house purchasers was complete and agreed, the parents of my grandchild informed the new local school that they would be moving into the area during the summer school holidays. An approach was made by the parents to the head of the local school (in catchment area) who advised the parents to apply to Hampshire Education Department when ALL contracts were exchanged. Contracts were exchanged during August of the school summer holiday period, with a move date set for 3rd September 2019. The parents immediately informed Hampshire Council in writing, as required by Hampshire Council.The new school Autumn Term began the 9th September 2019.

It is now the 27th September 2019 and my grandchild has not yet resumed school, a full THREE WEEKS since the school term commenced. Yesterday the parents had a meeting with the local school in the hope that the child was about to restart school. But it appears that not a lot has been done by either Hampshire Council or the school concerned. About ten days ago an offer was made by Hampshire Council of a place in the local school. But it seems that the wheels of local authorities and local schools grind exceedingly slowly. But I suspect, not as slowly as they would if the parents wilfully prevented the child from attending school.

The parents were made aware about two weeks ago that the local school in the Winchester area had applied to the child's previous school for the child's school records etc. But the parents were told yesterday afternoon that no setting/streaming action has yet been taken. How long does a relatively simple decision such as 'setting' a child does it take a school to make? I can't help wondering how long it must take to 'set' the full complement of school students, of say a 1000 students or more.

Why am i telling all this? Because the political class in parliament, and the so-called Supreme Court, have made a lot of noise and remonstrations about obedience to the law. I believe the Supreme Court has also implied the threat of action if the law isn't obeyed.

This web page is clear, penalties can be applied against the parents for withholding a child from education:
https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-ab ... attendance

Quote:
Legal action to enforce school attendance

Local councils and schools can use various legal powers if your child is missing school without a good reason. They can give you:

a Parenting Order
an Education Supervision Order
a School Attendance Order
a fine (sometimes known as a ‘penalty notice’)

You can be given one or more of these but the council does not have to do this before prosecuting you.

It does appear in this now disunited kingdom that courts and officialdom hold all the trump cards, and are free to hand down judgements and penalties, whilst they themselves remain ABOVE the law. In the case of the courts, it now seems that they are free to make-up law on the hoof where no law previously existed. The PM is declared unlawful where no law previously existed, and the parents of my grandchild are possibly now at risk of a trumped up charge of withholding their child from school education.

How long before we are all charged with a hate crime for speaking our minds? We live in very dangerous times indeed.

It seems that it isn't only parliament that is broken, the whole system of government, local and central, appears to have been destroyed; is there a common purpose at work?.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:12 pm 

Yes. Not only here. Across the western world.