News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Smart Meters
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 pm 

This week I contacted the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) to ask whether I am compelled under law or statute to accept the installation of smart meters for gas and electric supplies in my private home, or do I have the right to refuse, and continue to use non smart meters.

Here is their reply:
Quote:
3 February 2012

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email dated 28 January about smart meters.

The roll-out of smart meters is an important national modernisation programme. It will bring big benefits to individual consumers and to the nation as a whole, and we expect consumers to welcome the benefits smart meters will bring. The aim is for all homes to have smart meters by 2019. Suppliers will be required to install smart meters and take all reasonable steps to reach everyone. However, the Government does not expect energy suppliers to take legal action to fit a smart meter if they cannot get the householder’s co-operation.

I hope this has been helpful.

Yours sincerely,

James Fulton
DECC Correspondence Unit

As I understand the current situation, the Government has not yet approved any particular smart meter for installation in private homes. But that hasn't prevented the energy companies from trying to persuade us to accept their version of unapproved smart meters against our wishes.

Post subject: Re: Smart Meters
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:50 am 

You have identified the weakness in their argument..... Tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Of course the problem will come when they legislate these meters must be fitted.

And in due course they will............

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 am 

geezer466 wrote:
You have identified the weakness in their argument..... Tell them to foxtrot oscar.

Of course the problem will come when they legislate these meters must be fitted.

And in due course they will............

Problem in Ontario is where the new smart tax machine will not fit the existing meter base ; The meter belongs to the electricity supplier and the base is owned by the building owner. We now have cash strapped seniors being ordered , by the supplier, to update their meter base; using expensive license electricians of course, at their own expense.

All this so our Premier can garner the Greenie votes !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:38 am 

So if my son describe's how freddie flintoff won the ashes for England with his cricket bat and accidently on purpose bashes the said smart meter of the wall

Just where do I stand....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:42 am 

Uncle Festa wrote:
So if my son describe's how freddie flintoff won the ashes for England with his cricket bat and accidently on purpose bashes the said smart meter of the wall

Square leg or Silly mid-off?
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:50 pm 

I've been reading about these smart meters in the Which? magazine.

At the moment not many of them are global across more than one energy company so if you tried to switch supplier you would need yours ripping out and theirs installing = hassle. Which? are campaigning for a global meter and their advice is to stick with what you've got until they comply.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
I've been reading about these smart meters in the Which? magazine.

At the moment not many of them are global across more than one energy company so if you tried to switch supplier you would need yours ripping out and theirs installing = hassle. Which? are campaigning for a global meter and their advice is to stick with what you've got until they comply.
Thanks for that reminder Kremmen. I forgot to mention that most smart meters currently being installed are only usable with the one supplier. You are quite right, switching suppliers, as the now ex-Secretary for Energy and Climate Change recommended us to do, isn't so straightforward if you have a smart meter installed.

When he offered that 'advice' Chris Huhne MP, as a Government member, had the perfect opportunity to warn the public that having smart meters installed would work against our ability to change energy suppliers. Yet another example of political obfuscation?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm 

Uncle Festa wrote:

Well clear of any sparks !

In fact the typical first act of the fire dept here is to take a fibreglass handled axe and smack the meter off it's base.

Immediately isolates all electrical circuits in the building so they can spray water safely.

Fortunately most utilities here demand a Canadian Standard Base, in the appropriate amperage rating, so if another utility was to be available it would be easy to change suppliers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 pm 

I am pleasantly shocked that the letter from the Department didn't mention climate change.