News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Bus Strikes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:59 am 

These bus strikes are an absolute waste of time and I'm not surprised that TfL are reporting a 50% turnout last week.

Each of the privatised bus companies have their own way of calculating a drivers pay. Some companies offer increased hourly calculations for unsocial hours (time and a third say) whilst others increase the hourly wage instead. Some companies don't offer unsocial hours and some only pay a flat wage on the start to finish of the duty. Some pay for the meal relief time whilst some don't. Some pay extra for long spreadover duties whilst some offer a reduced payment.

These terms are on a per company basis and will remain that way.

This is one area I was heavily involved with. When one company gained a route, and drivers, from another under TUPE rules after a tender was lost/gained, part of my job was to amend the payroll software to cater for the new payroll calculations from the previous company rules. I could baffle you with how some companies pay a duty. The old London Transport 'fleet agreement' was something else and a few ex LT companies still use it.

No 2 drivers get paid the same for a days work even on the same route at the same company, it's all calculated on the duty start, finish, length, meal relief time and possibly unsocial hours. Then throw into the mix incidentals like travelling time from garage to takeover point if applicable, starting and parking time when the bus is from or to the garage.

Post subject: Re: Bus Strikes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:31 pm 

I'm surprised anyone can afford to go on strike. They must feel very aggrieved.

Post subject: Re: Bus Strikes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:06 am 

I don't think the majority do. They follow what the union tell them. The first had 66% support, the second had 50%. Let's see how the next 2 go.