News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm 

We're hearing so much about travel in London during the Olympics, I'm getting worried what it's going to be like. So I took a bit of time to try and find out a few facts.

Apparently there are going to be something like an extra half million people travelling in London each day with three million additional trips in London on the busiest day of the Games. 80% of spectators will travel by tube and rail. That's a lot of extra journeys!

Some people say that TfL are running a scaremongering campaign to keep people off the trains and roads. I'm not sure, maybe so, maybe not, but you can't have all those extra bodies without an impact. TfL say that unless people change their travel habits we can expect half hour waits for the tube at certain times of the day. London Bridge is set to be one of the most affected stations. I'm attaching an infographic with the TfL estimation of wait times at London Bridge hour by hour for each day of the games. (You can get the same thing for other stations on the GAOTG website)

So what to do? If you're like me you'll still have to travel most days. So, I'm arming myself with as much info as possible, but then I'm a transport freak! TfL have added a journey planner page to their 'Get Ahead of the Games' Website. It has links to help plan your travel and downloadable daily bulletins with detailed info about travel on each day of the Games. http://www.getaheadofthegames.com

That's what I'll use. The only question that remains is should I clog up my Twitter feed with the live travel bulletins from TfL on @GAOTG ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm 

Please forgive me - But are you for real as you look suspiciously like a Tfl employee or PR contractor spreading the word?

I hope I am wrong as it is disingenuous at best for a commercial or public organisation to come on a community site masquerading as a punter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:22 pm 

There was a bit on the news, about London streets. It said that the cab drivers have been told that they can't drive on half the streets.
Is this right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:26 am 

Typical Government reaction, its their problem, They went all out to get the circus to town, we in London not only pay for it, we in London face the consequence, have been up in Leeds for a few days, and they just cant understand why we alone carry the costs, her Madge the Queen and Phil the Greek were their Yesterday and closed off the road that was pedestrianised, so nothing could move on wheels, she even left her car and had to walk, within and hour it was back to normal business as usual, but here the Muppets run around in ever decreasing circles finally disappearing up their own asshole, landing us with extra costs to get it all back and working again, sack the bloody lot of them and have a committee, and run London as a company, better still do the same with Parliament, with various Counties, and Cities ran as departments. Who needs thousands of polticians, as councilors and members of Parliament ? :o :shock: :?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:28 am 

Is it over yet, can I come out ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:10 pm 

I couldn't have put it better myself Kremmen!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:21 am 

The latest nonsense is that you could be refused entry to Olympic venues if you're wearing a Pepsi T-Shirt or similar because Coke have the sponsorship deal.

I also heard somewhere that some long established chip shops are being told to close for the duration as McDonalds have the sole licence to sell this type of food in the Olympic area.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 am 

so what happened to free trade and competition? this is nothing short of restricted trade and competition, everything the Conservative party rattle on about, so now they can charge what they can get for their own brands, as competition has been banned, so just who voted this lot in?? :o :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:24 pm 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ctatorchip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:59 pm 

Kremmen wrote:
The latest nonsense is that you could be refused entry to Olympic venues if you're wearing a Pepsi T-Shirt or similar because Coke have the sponsorship deal.

I also heard somewhere that some long established chip shops are being told to close for the duration as McDonalds have the sole licence to sell this type of food in the Olympic area.

Has anyone seen the excellent 2012 comedy programme which has been running for months on the BBC? It's a spoof documentary which follows a LOCOG type organisation as it plans and prepares for the games.

With the G4S cock up, the Pepsi T shirt ban and the 'No Chips' policy, I am struggling to work out whether I am watching the news or the comedy program!!!