News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Driverless Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:38 pm 

According to the news:

Tfl are to proceed with their driverless trains project. the first such line will be the Piccadilly line scheduled for 2022.

Well if that doesn't get Bob Crowe seeing red and getting them out again nothing will !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20592986

I do think the tube drivers have 'struck' themselves out of a job = shot in the foot :lol:

Post subject: Re: Driverless Tubes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm 

Mind you considering the average wage for a tube driver is £48K and how many of them there are I think this new system would be good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:20 am 

I agree, no more wildcat strikes when Crowe gets out of bed on the wrong side.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 am 

It is because of Bob Crowe it is a viable proposition. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:13 pm 

jim wrote:
It is because of Bob Crowe it is a viable proposition. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

It's because of Bob Crow that the tube drivers get such good money.

They perhaps the only union left that are in a position to stop London at the drop of a hat. And while I have rarely been a support of Crow and crew, and have found them to be astonishing greedy at times, if I was a LU train driver facing a similar prospect of ultimately losing my job, but in a strong industrial action position to stop it happening, I would be the first man on the picket line. Wouldn't you?

You have a mortgage, a young family and a lifetime of commitments. Alternatively, you have a skill-set which is non transferable and are approaching 40/45 year old with no real prospect of re employment at anything like the same salary. You managers ask you to support trials of a robot that will make you redundant.
Do you say

A) "No problem boss, what can I do?" or
B) "Not on your life matey, I will do everything in my power to keep a roof over my family and food on their plates".

I will look forward to reading your answers.........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 am 

As you quite rightly say, thanks to the 'Union', tube drivers can bring London to a standstill at the drop of a hat.
This is a totally irresponsible step that they take almost annually to further inflate their wages well beyond inflation and it has to stop, and it is going to stop by all accounts.

I also agree that they need to put food on the table so they can be given alternative employment, at a sensible rate.

I fully back the TfL stance on this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 pm 

I do not agree that a Union can bring the country to a standstill, because this is nothing more than blackmail and is wrong, I also do not agree that during the Olympics they were paid huge amounts for doing what was only their job, So were the rest of the country paid more for doing their jobs - NO. Also, when they do not deliver the service which is almost daily do they have a wage reduction = No why not.

This reminds me of a topic on here many years and crashes ago about so called key workers and low cost houses. So we have say a nurse who is considered a key worker and given cheap housing, I agree, but the nurse starts an early shift, how does she wake up via an alarm clock run by Electric, perhaps she catches a bus, driven by a bus driver. She relies on the coffee shop that opens early so she can get a roll and coffee to take into work, The list of events could go on and on, the main point is that WE are all key workers, we are all cogs in a wheel that make this country work and not one of us should be considered more important than the other. We no matter what we do keep this country going and we should all be respected for that. We are all key workers, we are all doing our bit to keep this country running for all of us to benefit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 pm 

we are all equal since the 13 years of Labour, but that meant some are more equal than others :( :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:08 am 

If thatcher taught us anything , it was , every man for himself
Tube driving , like all jobs has a limited life span , with automation
Si I don't blame them for getting what they can , while they can , within reason
Anyway , I don't get anything near £45 k , but on the other hand it's not a fortune either
If I look at my lack of wage rise over the last 10 years or so , I am about £10k down , on what it should be now
Got knows where the good days people talk about under labour , I can't remember any great spending comming my way .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 pm 

SOT wrote:
jim wrote:

It's because of Bob Crow that the tube drivers get such good money.

They perhaps the only union left that are in a position to stop London at the drop of a hat. And while I have rarely been a support of Crow and crew, and have found them to be astonishing greedy at times, if I was a LU train driver facing a similar prospect of ultimately losing my job, but in a strong industrial action position to stop it happening, I would be the first man on the picket line. Wouldn't you?

You have a mortgage, a young family and a lifetime of commitments. Alternatively, you have a skill-set which is non transferable and are approaching 40/45 year old with no real prospect of re employment at anything like the same salary. You managers ask you to support trials of a robot that will make you redundant.
Do you say

A) "No problem boss, what can I do?" or
B) "Not on your life matey, I will do everything in my power to keep a roof over my family and food on their plates".

I will look forward to reading your answers.........

Im with you on this one SOT. Whilst Bob Crowe has frequently overstepped the mark in calling strikes, he is ultimately doing what he was voted in to do by the union membership. IE: Protect THEIR interests and get the best deal possible. Its what CEO's of private companies do all the time, but with the emphasis on maximising profits and dividends to shareholders, often at the expense of poorly paid employees at the bottom of the ladder. You need look no further than the major supermarket chains for evidence of this.

I just don't understand the apparent jealousy of some folk who seem to begrudge the 'average working man/woman' a DECENT LIVING WAGE. What is so wrong with that aspiration, is that not something we should all aspire to, is that not the driving force behind the whole capitalist system ?

Working as I do ( or rather did ) for a major company, I have witnessed this constant downward drive towards the lowest wage possible, and ever worsening working terms and conditions for a number of years now and its not a pretty sight. Staff morale drops through the floor, and that is often reflected in the level of service provided to the customer at the sharp end. Its a downward spiral that ultimately does no-one any good.

If the Tube drivers are on £48k a year, good luck to them I say. They are responsible for the safe transportation of millions of passengers a year, on one of the worlds oldest and most overcrowded systems imagineable. Would you feel as safe at the hands of a driverless, computer controlled train deep underground ? I know I wouldn't.

Moley :shock: