News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driverless Tubes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:30 pm 

Bob Crowe will fight against driver less trains, but the final outcome will indeed be train less drivers. :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:06 pm 

Moley wrote:
SOT wrote:
jim wrote:
It is because of Bob Crowe it is a viable proposition. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

It's because of Bob Crow that the tube drivers get such good money.

They perhaps the only union left that are in a position to stop London at the drop of a hat. And while I have rarely been a support of Crow and crew, and have found them to be astonishing greedy at times, if I was a LU train driver facing a similar prospect of ultimately losing my job, but in a strong industrial action position to stop it happening, I would be the first man on the picket line. Wouldn't you?

You have a mortgage, a young family and a lifetime of commitments. Alternatively, you have a skill-set which is non transferable and are approaching 40/45 year old with no real prospect of re employment at anything like the same salary. You managers ask you to support trials of a robot that will make you redundant.
Do you say

A) "No problem boss, what can I do?" or
B) "Not on your life matey, I will do everything in my power to keep a roof over my family and food on their plates".

I will look forward to reading your answers.........

Im with you on this one SOT. Whilst Bob Crowe has frequently overstepped the mark in calling strikes, he is ultimately doing what he was voted in to do by the union membership. IE: Protect THEIR interests and get the best deal possible. Its what CEO's of private companies do all the time, but with the emphasis on maximising profits and dividends to shareholders, often at the expense of poorly paid employees at the bottom of the ladder. You need look no further than the major supermarket chains for evidence of this.

I just don't understand the apparent jealousy of some folk who seem to begrudge the 'average working man/woman' a DECENT LIVING WAGE. What is so wrong with that aspiration, is that not something we should all aspire to, is that not the driving force behind the whole capitalist system ?

Working as I do ( or rather did ) for a major company, I have witnessed this constant downward drive towards the lowest wage possible, and ever worsening working terms and conditions for a number of years now and its not a pretty sight. Staff morale drops through the floor, and that is often reflected in the level of service provided to the customer at the sharp end. Its a downward spiral that ultimately does no-one any good.

If the Tube drivers are on £48k a year, good luck to them I say. They are responsible for the safe transportation of millions of passengers a year, on one of the worlds oldest and most overcrowded systems imagineable. Would you feel as safe at the hands of a driverless, computer controlled train deep underground ? I know I wouldn't.

Moley :shock:

The Victoria Line trains have been computer controlled for almost it's whole life. All the 'driver' does is open and close the doors.

= It's actually quite safe :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:10 pm 

I stand corrected then Kremmen.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/modesof ... 13176.aspx

Personally though I would still feel a little safer with an actual human being at the controls should something go wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:28 pm 

It's not new technology, unmanned mono rails have been running around airports and citys, throughout the world for years. Many subway throughout the world have also been unmanned for years also.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:15 pm 

Aircraft have been flying the globe for years on fly by-wire technology and computers, but its still re-assuring to know there is a human being at the pointy end just in case. Many a disaster has been prevented by the intervention of a highly trained and skilled pilot when the technology fails, as it is prone to do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm 

Black cabs have a bloke in a helecopter over head drive 8 at a time, I am sure he does more than that though. :( :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:24 am 

The main concern with the Victoria line I suppose is what to do in an emergency between stations if driverless.

I seem to be at odds with most here because I don't agree with Crowes continual annual tactic of 'Give us a wage rise x% above inflation or else we'll bring London to a standstill again'.

Plus, I think they get teachers holidays as well ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:44 pm 

jim wrote:
Bob Crowe will fight against driver less trains, but the final outcome will indeed be train less drivers. :) :)

Bob Crowe lives in the past and has no idea of progress. All he is doing is seeing his time out until his bank balance is fat enough so that he can retire and then wont give 2 hoots about anyone else.

He is nothing more than a bloke with an over inflated ego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 pm 

chris_guest wrote:
jim wrote:

Bob Crowe lives in the past and has no idea of progress. All he is doing is seeing his time out until his bank balance is fat enough so that he can retire and then wont give 2 hoots about anyone else.

He is nothing more than a bloke with an over inflated ego

I can't argue with that as I find him arrogant and almost repulsive. But he looks after his membership. However, I ask again, what would you do if faced with technology that might make 99% of you & your fellow workers redundant, but had industrial power to stop it?

Would you roll over and accept it, thereby face the dole queue or fight the changes?

I am no Arthur Scargill or Bob Crow, but I would have no hesitation bringing London/Britain to it's knees if it meant I could stay in work, pay my mortgage and feed my family - Wouldn't you??

There are Govt plans to prepare the Military to drive tube trains during a strike, but this coalition haven't the balls or will to take on the RMT right now

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 am 

I agree with your sentiment about protecting jobs but I think he's doing the opposite.

I think he is being successful at pricing his membership out of jobs which is forcing TfL's hands to look for a solution.

I can predict that they will likely push for another 5% rise soon "or we will strike".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next