News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 pm 

Hi, I do have a good paid for anti Virus, its AVG and I find it excellent, so far I have'nt had any problems, and have had it for nearly two years now. My grandson has back up everything on my computer on a Seagate 500 Portable Drive, thats in case my computer gives up the ghost !!!! and it updates every Friday. Thanks for the info :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 am 

That statement about 'every Friday' indicates that the drive is permanently connected ?

That's fine for day to day backups via the likes of SyncBack but these days with Cryptoware and similar you also need to perform regular backups to a drive that is not permanently connected. You can get what they term portable USB HDD drives (500Gb may do) fairly cheaply. Invaluable if you have lots of personal data that you can't afford to lose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:57 pm 

No I don;t keep the drive hooked up all the time, I just connect on Friday's and it is a portable slim 500 USB, I just have lots of photo's, music etc., no serious stuff, but still would not want to loose it :!:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:01 am 

Perfect :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 am 

Whatever you do don't trust a WD Passport external drive. They suddenly give up the ghost for no particular reason. It's happened to me and to two people I know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:02 am 

My WD portable external has been going strong for years. I suppose there is good and bad in everything.

If you have data you don't want to lose then run with 2 or more I suppose.

I also put valuable data on a high capacity, good quality flash drive. 32Gb ones aren't that expensive these days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 am 

I'm not sure, but I have a hunch that what might kill WD Passports is unplugging them without properly "Ejecting" them first. Just a hunch. Either that or a whole bunch were made with a faulty chip. I have found LOADS of people on the next grieving over the same thing happening to them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am 

Strange.

I've never ejected/disconnected any USB device and never had a problem. You do of course have to set the OS to allow auto disconnect which a user setting. My last one died because the power socket transformer gave up the ghost.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 pm 

I had an HP laptop and AVG but recently I decided to buy an MacBook Air. I'm told that they don't need bought-in anti-virus - I'm not sure if that's true, but it's certainly must quicker than my old laptop.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:35 am 

All new machines initially run fast, plus it's probably better specced. These days the boot drive is often a SSD which will significantly increase speed.

I would also never browse from any device without some form of protection. Windows is the most targeted but there are some Mac viruses and trojans out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next