News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 am 

I have lots of frogs, birds, weeds and a huge dog in mine

Oh, and a couple of fruit trees and some rhubarb. It's a struggle keeping it tidy but it's not too bad.

We have some alpine strawberries that make great groundcover so we're moving some of them near the fishpond to keep the weeds down a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm 

DOG FOR SALE

A man sees a sign outside a house - 'Talking Dog For Sale.' He rings the bell, the owner appears and tells him the dog can be viewed in the back garden.

The man sees a very nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

"Do you really talk?" he asks the dog.

"Yes," the Labrador replies.

After recovering from the shock of hearing the dog talk, the man asks, "So, tell me your story."

The Labrador looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I told the SAS.
"In no time at all they had me jetting fromcountry to country, sitting in rooms with spiesand world leaders, because no one imagined that a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years".

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at Heathrow Airport to do some undercover security work, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in.

I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded several medals. I got married, had a few puppies, and now I've just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back into the house and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog.

"Ten quid," the owner says.

"£10!!? But this dog is absolutely amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheaply?"

"Because he's a lying bastard, he's

never been out of the garden." ;) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:46 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 am 

Been trying to grow rhubarb this year, but the leaves have turned yellow and the broken off, any advice available?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm 

I grow mine in the part shade fertilise and never let it dry out, always leave 2/3 stalks when harvesting, have had three crops sofar, and looks like will get a fourth, :) ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 am 

I've picked loads this year too. I always leave the last two or three stalks too.

Mine is in a sheltered spot by a 6 ft fence. It's not too sunny there either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm 

I think I will need to move mine into the back garden shade, too much direct sunlight in the front I reckon. Only got one stem left its my only hope

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 pm 

when I was a little girl I used to watch my dad collect horse manure from the street, mix it with water and put it on the rhubarb. Ugh! (the milk used to get delivered by horse and cart so there was usually plenty of manure lying around)

We don't do that to it and it grows really well.

Just reading that back makes me feel really old :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:09 pm 

Sunshine wrote:
when I was a little girl I used to watch my dad collect horse manure from the street, mix it with water and put it on the rhubarb. Ugh! (the milk used to get delivered by horse and cart so there was usually plenty of manure lying around

we put custard on ours boom boom
:( :o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:09 pm 

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Just custard? How boring!

I turn ours into rhubarb and custard cake, crumble, pie and sometimes just cook the rhubarb and eat it in my morning porridge - mmmm! We have been picking apples and pears too.

I've bought seeds for next year's tomatoes, sunflowers, chillis, peppers, mexican gherkins, golden berry (small pineapple tasting fruits) and catnip. (all at 50p per packet from the local garden centre)

The tomatoes are 100s and 1000s and Red Robin - I've never grown either of those before (I usually grow Gardener's Delight)