News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:58 pm 

When(& where) did your Mum work in the head office Sunshine?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:02 pm 

In the 60s - she was a shorthand typist and often did temping - not sure if she was a temp there or permanent (maybe I should ask :-) )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 pm 

I think my uncle Joe (Card) worked there as I seem to remember an engraved silver plate. Possibly long service award.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 am 

My grandad worked at EMI, but it was the one near the Hayes Gatehouse. He was there from the late 80's to the early 90's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 pm 

Would dearly love to see a pic of the record factory on Uxbridge Road, with Nipper in the window.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:40 pm 

The researcher is VERY keen for people who worked at EMI to get in touch as soon as possible please:

Paul Nataraj stan_insound@yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 pm 

I worked at EMI Uxbridge Road from 1975 - 80 in the warehouse booking all the records from the presses into stock. I met loads of famous people including Marc Bolan, Don McLean, Kate Bush . I was also on a programme that CH4 did called Lock up your daughters - Sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll which focused on bands that had rocked the establishment. i was interviewed about the trouble in the warehouse with the lady 'pickers' when the Sex Pistols released their Never mind the bollocks album]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:04 pm 

WOW!!! And what was the trouble??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 pm 

Did you manage to get any volunteers Jon?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 am 

I worked at HMV. it was June 1940. I had been working at Fairey Aviation left after being shouted and screamed at by the foreman

for working 20 minutes overtime, which I thought at the time was "helping the war effort" I was 14 at the time.
I started at HMV a day later. My job was to place the appropriate bulbs into radio sets as they came off an assembly line. My pay was 4pence and hour.
I was told that it was a bonus value job. I had to complete "valving " 28 sets an hour to start. With steady work I was able to complete up to 58 sets an hour, (always thinking of that bonus"
I was told that my bonus had been put forward , but it would take weeks to come through. Finally the expected payday arrived . When When I queried it I was told that on a bonus job everyone shares .The line was "manned mostly by women and there was little interest in working harder than was expected. My share of the extra work I put in . My share was 2 pence. I asked the foreman for my cards and walked away and started at the cardboard factory on the Uxbridge Road at 6 pence an hour. That was fine until I mentioned to the foreman that I was waiting to hear from the Admiralty an answer to my volunteering to join the Royal Navy. I was fired and joined the Auxillary Fire Brigade and in November 1941 received a call from the Navy that I had been accepted. After 14 years with the RN I transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy and have never looked back. Good food, good men, saw the world and now relax with a good pension.