News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:05 am 

We've been sent this email:

I am writing to you with the hope that you could assist me in finding volunteers for a project I am working on concerning the Old Vinyl Factory in Hayes. I am PhD student at the University of Sussex where my research is focussed on the cultural impact of vinyl records and collecting the stories which are attached to these objects. My colleague is curating an event at the Old Vinyl Factory in Hayes and has asked me to produce an installation for him, a work which will feed into my research too.

I would like to interview people who worked at the Old Vinyl Factory over the years, record their stories and play them back into the empty space of the buildings. I am however struggling finding any respondents, and was wondering if you might be able to help in this regard. If you had any contacts or could point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful.

Paul Nataraj stan_insound@yahoo.co.uk

Anyone out there able to help?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:49 pm 

I did! It was my first job when I was 15. I worked in the Head Office's 'General Office' for 2 years.
My childhood was centred round the EMI as my mother worked in different areas and when she worked in the canteen, children were allowed! ((She also worked in the coil winding dept later on.)
And my sister worked in the record dept.

Not sure if I have much knowledge of what is required though, other than that I still have some of the vinyls bought with staff discount!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm 

Started my App Nov 16 1953 as a toolmaker, worked on a trim tool that cut the flashing after pressing the new type of 45's, had digs with a friend who worked the presses at night, I think he said he worked 6 or more presses at one time, he brought home a lot of 45's rejects that we used to hang in a apple tree and tried to hit the hole in the center, most of these pressings were the first issues of a guy named Elvis Presley, worth a fortune these days, oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

I used to take mail to different parts of the factoy including the Tool 'shop'? ( Can't remember what it was called!)

I remember walking through and the radio was blaring out 'Smoke gets in your eyes' by the Platters and this guy came over and started serenading it to me!' :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:30 am 

Could those who'd like to be interviewed send me a PM please, so I can pass on your details.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:38 am 

It was the Toolroom, it was on the left side of Dawley road as you come down Bourne Bridge, next to it was the Drawing Office, my Dad was Chief Draughtman 1951/1956, he relocated to GEC in Portsmouth and took me with him, thank goodness by the looks of things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:11 am 

Have no problems forwarding any of my posts in this matter, I always kept out of trouble and having nothing to hide, my big problem was keeping out of Burtons billiard hall at lunchtimes,hopped on my Triumph with a mate, got two games of snooker in, a cup of tea and pie and back to the Toolroom in an hour. Thats where Dad found me one Sat morning, blasted me for wasting what little money I earned, told me to get my stuff from the digs and took me to Portsmouth, transferred my App to GEC, a big turn around from EMI and Hayes, Dad found out later I was relying on my Snooker to eat, played for the top team in Portsmouth had many write ups in The News with 100+ breaks even got to play against John Spencer, he beat me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:22 pm 

My best man and 1st mother-in-law worked there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:08 am 

My grandad worked there, one of my aunt's was working there when it was hit by a bomb and my mum also worked there... my mum worked in virtually ALL the big firms in Hayes over the years, there were SO MANY of them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:08 pm 

My ex was an apprentice there (in the 60s)

My mum worked in the Head Office for a while. I'll bet most families in Hayes have somebody who worked there at some time or other