News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
Advertisement

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:41 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:41 pm 

Fittingly, the rain stopped and the sun came out for the funeral of Reg Cooke last Thursday, 12th July, at Amersham Crematorium.
Reg was once a Station Officer at Hillingdon Fire-Station. He would have been pleased to know that some retired firemen attended to pay their respects, and, as well as local, some had travelled from Lincolnshire and Norfolk.
I knew Reg as a kind, helpful, polite man and with his wife was part of a very close family. He lived nearby for much of the time from when I moved out to Buckinghamshire.

Reg was always there in times of need, helping out with transport for hospital visits and later on, assisting with my problems trying to use a computer when I was hopeless at even understanding the basics.
When I was going through exceptionally sad times, Reg helped me through by taking on the task of researching my family- history. Finding out that my family ancestors were greater in number than I ever imagined, I had something to focus on by visiting country villages I had never been to and discovering the whereabouts of past family members. Reg was brilliant at searching the Census records and BMD to make his next discovery, and phoned the news through with as much interest as I had in the subject. He was doing this even before the BBC series began. I was not the only person who benefitted from his talent and he gave up much of his time on Family History Research for other people too.

Reg originally worked at Greenford Fire Station before becoming Station Officer at Hillingdon in the early 70's. Even when he had retired, he still took a great interest in what was happening with the Fire Brigade and was not always happy about changes which occurred at times.

After being injured, sadly, in an accident whilst on duty, Reg left the Brigade, but his health was never fully restored. Nevertheless, he lived an interesting life appreciating and listening to classical music and getting the most out of his computer each day.

He started his working life in an ironmongers in Barnsley, and then became a fireman on the steam-trains, also in Yorkshire. After he married, he joined the Middx. Fire Brigade and worked at Greenford Fire Station. After his retirement, he worked for a while at the BBC in Ealing and Lime Grove. Interestingly, he returned to his very first occupation, working at a reputable local ironmongers in High Wycombe.

It was a privilege to have known Reg, and he withstood these last years of ill-health with dignity and never complained.
He leaves dear Marjorie, his wife of 60 years, and family of two daughters, one son and several Grandchildren. He will be sadly missed and I, for one, will especially miss the enchanting Jackie Lawson E cards he sent at Christmas and Easter. He knew that I like the Disney-type fantasy animal and butterfly animations and chose perfectly to appeal to my imagination.

Before leaving the chapel on Thursday after the funeral service, I noticed several butterflies fluttering around above the hedges. Maybe this was a card of reality and Nature, and was Reg's last goodbye.

RIP Reg x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:04 pm 

I never knew Reg, but I certainly knew his name.
It's a reliable test of character in the fire service if you are talked about (in a positive way) long after you have retired. That's exactly how I heard of him, from fond recollections of anecdotes which often started " Do you remember when Reg........?" etc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:02 pm 

Many thanks for that warm tribute. You might also like to post it to our "Memories" Yahoogroup, by emailing it to memories at yahoogroup dot com. (I've spelt out the address to stop it being recognised by spambots).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:22 pm 

A very moving tribute to as very outstanding person and friend,who gave great support in
exceptionally difficult times.

Their are far to few people of this character in the world and of their passing leave's us all that
that much poorer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 pm 

Yes, a very moving tribute indeed, and so well-deserved.
I have known Reg for many years whilst working as a member of the Fire Brigade, and throughout our retirement together.
He was a straightforward, honest person, and a good friend who put others before himself. He was conscientious in his duties as Station Officer at Hillingdon and was well-respected by his colleagues.

The public's safety and welfare was always in good hands when Reg was on duty and leading his Watch.

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:37 pm 

bedwyn wrote:
A very moving tribute to as very outstanding person and friend,who gave great support in
exceptionally difficult times.

Their are far to few people of this character in the world and of their passing leave's us all that
that much poorer.

Little did I know that, after writing my tribute to Reg Cooke, I was going to hear about the tragic landslip accident in Somerset, in which one of the victims was Rosemary Snell, someone I once knew when she also helped me, but in a different way, during difficult times a few years ago.

She was another person who fits very well into Bedwyn's comment, and I will always be indebted to her for her kindness and willingness to help. The nature of her work at that time has not been mentioned publicly, as far as I know, and so I won't mention it here, but she was warm-hearted, friendly, and assisted me with quiet confidence and compassion.

I am shocked and upset that her life has ended, and in such a terrible accident.

Marian.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

I'm sure we were all shocked at the way this tragedy happened. I didn't know Rosemary personally but from Marian's words she must have been a great person to know. Marian, you have my sympathy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm 

Thankyou for your kind words, Davrob. They are much appreciated.

(How disgusting that her home has now been burgled and treasured possessions stolen.)