News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:03 pm 

I have just come back from a memorable morning when I gave a talk at the Charville library about the Choir and other music experiences.

I took recordings along of a concert in the Queen's Hall in Hayes and also part of the Song Festival in Dusseldorf.
It was really lovely to have a lady sitting in the front row who I last saw many years ago in Hayes. She was also the soloist who sang contralto on the recording of extracts from Handel's Messiah which I played. It gave me great pleasure in inviting the audience to give her the applause she deserves all these years on for her inspiration to me and other choir-members. To have met her again today was the most amazing experience.

Before going to the library, I went to the house I lived in which was in Raeburn Road. I met the lady who lives there now and has been there since she was a child. I had a rehearsal of reviving memories with her before sharing some of them again at the library!

I have had an amazing time and appreciate, very much, that I was invited again, despite not being able to go last year when asked because of family illness. To have been made so welcome in the area where I spent some of my childhood
was really special.

Marian

Last edited by Marian on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm 

That's excellent Marian :-)

Would love to hear more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 pm 

I have now added a page about this occasion on my website. For the moment, it reads quite similar to what I had written above, except for this...
There was one scary moment when I was about to play the track of the Mellow Lane choir singing in Dusseldorf only to find I had not taken the number of the track with me. It turned out to be an advantage, though, because all I could think of doing was to play a part of each choir from some of the other European countries until I came to the Mellow Lane Choir singing Flocks Are Sporting ... The reaction was that members of the audience were pleased to hear these excerpts and it was suggested afterwards that I play the complete recording for an audience in Hayes at a future get-together.
Other than that, everything went smoothly but, unfortunately, I didn't have time to talk about my other music experiences except for meeting Sammy Cahn. Again, it was suggested that I go back at a later date and take some more recordings of future compositions which I look forward to being able to do.

It was very nice to have been asked to the library to share my memories. I thank all those people who came
along and made me feel at ease when it was a 'first' for me to do something like this in front of a live audience after several years.

Marian.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:16 pm 

I wonder if the person in Austria who looked in on my website listened to the recordings I uploaded from the record I have of the Song Festival in Dusseldorf. I hope so because the Austrian choir is one of the 4 uploaded so far. It would be amazing if whoever it was is actually singing on it in that choir. If so, they couldn't realise how often I have played it and listening takes me back to actually being there again. Such marvellous memories of music and taking part with choirs from different European countries :)

Marian