News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 pm 

just reading the article terror from the sky in the archives, I reccolect very well that Sunday afternoon, also the account by Rolald Rennie who I knew well along with his younger brother Ian, who lived a few doors away from where I lived at the time in Shakespeare Avenue, that bought memories flooding back, also the American B29 Flying Fortress that crash landed at the Watersplash opposite where Tesco now stands. I was 11 at the time and seems like only last week. :o :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 pm 

Excellent Jim, glad you enjoyed the articles. I've moved your post here from Heavy Chat... when I saw the title I thought "Oh no, what have the council been up to now?"

To see the fascinating articles Jim's talking about, hot-foot it now to the Special Features page of www.hayesmiddlesex.com

http://middx.net/features.htm

Feel free to write your own memories here, and they too can be turned into "Special Features"!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 pm 

WHO REMEMBERS THE HORSE WATER TROUGHS these were of granite where horses could refresh there was one in Hayes Town outside where the Wimpy bar is, another on the Uxbridge road in the centre between the bingo hall (Savoy cinema) and the underground air raid shelters (high rise flats) the Home Guard HQ at Bernard Sunley House, the large tree stripped of foliage with a large cartwheel on one end and a pivot on the other, that could be rolled across across the Uxbridge road to form a barrier blocking off the road, the emergency water supply tank where the burger bar now is on the corner of Shakespeare. Belmore farm complete with Dutch barn with a Transport cafe and lorry park in the centre no shops then just two show houses for Gough the builders, on the other side would be each year Billy Smarts fair now flats, the two craters that were cemented over and filled with water as emergency water supply, Sandgate house in the town that became the working Menes club now an Iceland shop, the British restaurant that was part of the X chair factory through the arch in the town, just some of the changes made since we moved out into the country from Fulham in 1936, was one of the first to go to the brand new Yeading infant school, :o :o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 am 

Nope, I only arrived in the borough in 1971 due to an RAF posting to West Drayton.

In this relatively short time I've seen it go from bad to worse though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:48 pm 

West Drayton back then was another American state over ran with Yanks all the way east to Heston airdrome, the first neon sign I ever saw was there a pair of scissors open then closed in red. :) :)