News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Miller family
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm 

Are they still with us?

Re- the Miller family, War and Post Years of Hesa Road, Hayes.

Post subject: Re: Miller family
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 am 

I've known some Millers through Dr Triplett's... possible they could be relatives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:02 am 

Thank You i will try and explore that avenue,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

I hope you have some luck and that someone has some useful information for you, Percy. I remember that when you asked on the previous forum if anyone knew of the Miller family, I asked my mother if she could help but she didn't recognise the name.
My mother lived in Rectory Road, where I was born, and one of my aunts and uncle lived in the Central Avenue end of Hemmen Lane. I got to know several names of people living in that area, but I can't ever remember the name Miller mentioned. I did know of a Miller family who lived just off Bourne Avenue, though.
I will keep thinking and you never know, some memories may come back of a Miller family in Hesa Road.

Take care
Marian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:58 am 

Hi Marian,I also lived in Rectory Road from 1935 until 1961 with my three brothers and sister.I have just found out a family in Elm Close are related to me from1840 and I was best man to one of them in 1958.\a small world,regards MWP. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:46 am 

The name Miller has been mentioned before. I was at school with a chap named Bernard Miller, he lived in a house on the corner of Hesa Road and Coldharbour Lane. I lived at 194 Central Avenue .I believe he had a sister by the name of Sheila. He stuttered quite badly during normal conversation, however our teacher had four or five of us including Bernard, stand in the front of the class with our books open to a set page . When given the go ahead we all commenced reading aloud the chapter. Bernard spoke in time with us all never stuttering once. The teacher then signalled each of us in turn to cease reading and eventually Bernard was alone reading without noticing everyone else had stopped. He immediately started to stutter. We were fortunate to have teachers in our school in those days who were very instrumental in helping students overcome disabilities. Those students who were left-handed were not punished because and made to use the right hand. As a member of the choir Bernard could put us all to shame with his lovely clear voice and perfect pitch whilst singing. He was not affected with his stammer while singing. Of course I am not aware what time frame you are talking of , but if it is any help, I was with Bernard at Townfield School from grade (or Form 1) until I left school at the age of 14, in March 1940. Many of us lost touch with each other during the war years. Some never did come back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:24 pm 

Hi mwp .. I remember quite a few names of the families in Rectory Road and you must have been living there when we were.
I am guessing that you lived the other end of Rectory Road from the Uxbridge Road. It sure is a small world :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:54 am 

Marian we lived at No13,lucky for some,actaully we had a very happy upbringing in the 40's/50's.I could name every family from that period in the road.I asked my sister if she remembers a Marian in Rectory Road,but she did not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm 

Hi mwp: Number 13 would have been further along the road on the other side to my Grandmother's house, which was number 26. There was also Lily who lived next door.
With Best Wishes
Marian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 am 

Just a quick follow up Bedwyn. Did you manage to get any useful info on the Miller family?