News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cycling
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm 

I gave my bike away to somebody on here years ago. I think the roads are too dangerous around here for cycling and I'm not keen on cycling off road.

We do a lot of walking these days - slower but enjoyable

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:15 pm 

I was going to do a lot more cycling this year. But, then somebody stole my bike. So they do it for me while I sit on the porch. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 pm 

That's such a shame. That's happened to me twice over the years. It's funny by the way how you can think you live in a flat area...till you get on a bike!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 pm 

Jon wrote:
That's such a shame. That's happened to me twice over the years. It's funny by the way how you can think you live in a flat area...till you get on a bike!!

Yer, then it's up hill both ways, there and back. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:23 am 

Jon wrote:

How true that is. When I used to cycle to work you realise where even the slightest of inclines are. Nice going the other way though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:03 am 

You are so right - I used to think I didn't have a lot of energy in the mornings because cycling out of the estate was always difficult - it took me a while to realise that going from Cowley to Uxbridge is slightly uphill :D

I used to love coming out of work and cycling home - I never even cared if it was raining (wonder if that's to do with the cycling or escaping from the office?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 am 

Need to watch rain as those old rubber block brakes were useless in the rain. Had some hairy moments.

Remember one fitting them backwards. First brake and the rubber flew out of the metal holders = 'don't panic'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:28 am 

bikes ugh, gave up that lark when I was old enough to get one with a motor on it, the first one was a Pride and Clark Pantha 250cc hand change with gear lever on tank went through most of the bikes at that time Matchbox, Arial, Vincent Comet and Shadow. Then the car bug set in had loads of different ones over the years, maybe this is my last one a Jeep diesel, who knows, have turned in many groups on my licence to DVLA voluntary as have not the need had one endorsement in 1953 for speeding was the only blemish and estimate have driven well in excess of two million miles. :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:59 pm 

Well done Jim!...............

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 am 

I spent many years mini-cabbing round here in the 70's doing well over 1000 miles a week. I reckon I've done over a million miles as well.

I'm now in slow, sedate mode and I just chuckle at the ones who have to race everywhere, must always get in front of any car in front.

The number of times they race past me on the Hayes By Pass only to get caught in the outside lane queue at the lights by Bulls Bridge and I trundle up and take a different lane and crawl past them and get ahead of them again :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next