News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: House prices
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:08 am 

Nice little graphic from Rightmove for March 2014

Post subject: Re: House prices
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:56 am 

Yes it's getting silly again. I feel for first time buyers.

My gaf was £28k in 1983. Using the maths to work out my annual wage v house price and applying it to my house value now you would need to be on £134,000 a year to be in the same position. No wonder it's mainly rich landlords on buy to let !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 am 

I dont blame the buy to let landlords as such an investment does look more reliable than pensions. But it's now approach a crisis. My daughter cannot get on the private housing ladder and stupidly her and her partner both work and contribute taxes to the UK, so they have no chance of social housing.

They rent a small 1 bed flat in West Drayton for an enormous sum (£850 pcm). They cannot do any DIY or make any improvements (not even pin photos to the wall), plus their lease is only for 12 months and of course their landlord does not have to renew it. The landlord has long pockets and very short arms, so hardly ever maintains the place.

This is not an isolated situation and I fear that the UK housing stock (or at least the smaller premises in the SE) will decline towards almost slum like conditions as individuals & families are forced to become itinerant, moving annually as these properties decline through lack of maintenance and care. My daughter may want to start a family in the near future. How on earth can you consider having kids living like this, not knowing where you will be living from one year to the next??

I am not sure what the answer is other than huge social house building program or perhaps local authorities buying existing premises as they become available. But that would only push up prices.

It's a mess and getting messier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 pm 

I was amazed what my little hovel was "worth",felt sorry for some young people that came to have a look,when i looked at rightmove again,the price range i was looking at just 2 months ago has fallen off the bottom of the scale :roll: