News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 am 

Before the bin truck (normal rubbish) arrives, a chap walks the street 'dragging out' individual rubbish piles into one mega stack. It's pretty common practice.

However, for the last few months, the chap who drags out in my street arrives between 05:00 & 05:15. With bin lids flying and glass in bags crashing about - it's not the quietest job in the world. Last week, he was on his phone seemingly working with one hand whilst teaching the street how to f***ing swear at some volume. The truck arrives any time up to two hours later.

For the life of me, I cannot see why he has to do this task so damn early. I assume he has another job to go to later. I applaud anyone who wants to work two jobs to make ends meet, but think this chap is taking the mickey.

Am I being over grumpy? What time does your first binman arrive? Should I complain??

The bin crews do a great job - about 8/10 overall. But the dragging out man's dawn chorus is annoying - so 1/10 for him

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm 

Same here, the advance party comes round at the crack of dawn.

Fortunately for us I get up at 04:30 and leave at 05:30 so I put the bags out about 05:20 and often see them 'stockpiling'. They are noisy with the bags as you describe but I've never seen one on the phone as yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm 

No problem, here's how we do it.
Needless to say, most bins are put out the night before and many are so full that the lid won't close but they still empty them.
We have 2 bins, one with a yellow lid for so called re-cycling (collected fortnightly) and one with a green lid for everything else including garden prunings etc. (weekly)
No noise, no fuss.
:D

http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/scripts/v ... sp?NID=340

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm 

some Boroughs have multi coloured bins, and are quite stroppy when wrong stuff in wrong bin, not sure if they have multi collections, or even different carts for taking it away, but if life is not as complicated as it is, rest assured that some little jobsworth is working on it. somewhere. :o ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:28 am 

I actually saw them this morning.

3 of them walking around a 'chucking' bags to the central pile from quite some distance away. I can see why some will get upset with bedroom windows wide open in this heat.

Whilst the general bag collection is excellent these selfish muppets do drag it down a notch or 2.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:42 am 

They are usually quiet when they collect the bags early around here (5 a.m. ish)

I have no complaints at all. If you want to complain about them then you could ring up the council's contact centre on 01895 556000 and they will pass your complaint on to the guy who manages the bin men.