News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:01 am 

Just wondered if anyone else is doing anything for sports relief, I'm doing the 50 mile bike ride in East London

I think the biggest challenge is getting to East London for 7am in the morning.

http://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/traff ... cling-club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 am 

I'm not watching any sport on TV - what a relief!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 am 

Well done BG!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:28 am 

Apologies for my earlier facetious remark, may I congratualte you BG on your achievement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:31 am 

I have never understood sponsored activities to 'raise money' for so-called 'charity'. People engage in self-imposed physical torture and flagellation in the hope that others will provide money for the favoured 'charity'. It strikes me as a waste of physical energy, and a monstrous waste of resources on a vast scale when large organisations, such as the BBC, engage in wall-to-wall coverage for the purpose of self aggrandisement. The BBC is keen on supporting the green agenda, but this nationwide blanket coverage of raising money for 'charity' is anything but green.

I find the BBC's blanket support of so-called 'charity' particularly nauseating. The BBC presents a caring-sharing public image, while at the same time is mercilessly and constantly sending out very nasty threatening letters to non-customers; people such as myself who have informed the BBC/TVL in writing that I do not require a TV Licence. Neither does the long relationship between the BBC and Jimmy Savile support an image of a caring-sharing organisation.

Then there is the issue of questionable and unquantified 'charity'. It is frequently presented as an undefined ambiguous benefit for whatever 'good cause' the governors of the so-called 'charity' see fit to give some money to. But when examined closely, many 'good causes' turn out to be very dubious indeed. Then there are the enormous overheads and salaries that charity organisers extract from the given monies.

I am not opposed to charitable giving, on the contrary, but I do believe that all charitable giving should be a private affair between the giver and the recipient. One in which there is no publicity, banner-waving, name-making, prize-winning participants. And if some people have so much spare time and energy as is wasted on running, jumping, swimming, etc. in the cause of 'charity'; then surely there are sufficient needs where that same time and energy can be better and directly employed to the benefit of the needy without attracting all the glamour and publicity; and without bribing school children to enter the money raising emotional blackmail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:52 pm 

12 hours to go before making my way to the east side of London, should be a fun day,expecting a great atmosphere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 am 

Let's have some piccies.