News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am 

Hi ... and hope everyone is well :-)
I just wanted to say that I was disappointed to have missed the first part of this programme tonight (80 Years of Television) after looking forward to seeing it. I saw the last part from just before Adele Dixon sang the song 'Television' but saw or heard no mention of Helen McKay until right at the end when there was only a quick glimpse of her. Does anyone know if she was mentioned earlier in the programme, please?
I was looking forward to hearing something about her and seeing her singing 'Here's Looking At You'. I grew up with family knowledge that, actually, she was the first female singer to appear on television and singing that song. I can't find the video of her either, when she recorded an interview at the Bradford T.V. Museum. I'm quite puzzled that there was no mention of her
as far as I could tell and the video doesn't seem to be available now. It all seems very strange ..

Marian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:32 am 

Just finished viewing a repeat of the programme I mentioned in my above post and in the Radio Times it was entitled Television's Opening Night: How the Box Was Born.

I saw the complete programme tonight, seeing the show with Adele Dixon singing the song 'Television' and it being reconstructed with an up to date vocalist. I saw a glimpse of Helen MacKay, who had lived in Hayes, at the beginning and end of the programme, but the film of her singing 'Here's Looking At You' definitely wasn't shown. The programme was fascinating, though, and I really enjoyed it. Seeing the experiments and achieving a T.V. picture brought back many childhood and teenage memories for me because of my father's interest when he worked at the EMI. It was not unusual to see the workings of radios and televisions at home when he took them to pieces and rebuilt them after repairs etc.
Can't wait to see the programme again if it is shown again one day because I loved it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:44 am 

Excellent. I missed it, will try to catch up on the iPlayer!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:24 pm 

Takes me back, the days when we watch black and white telvision through a snow storm as reception was very poor,and the cat got on the t.v. with its tail hung down over the screen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 pm 

I remember waiting for the dot to disappear on some TVs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:50 pm 

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a Wikipedia entry for Helen McKay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_McKay

I welcome contributions from anyone who knew the lady.

Ms McKay played an important role in history and I intend making sure that her memory is never lost.

James.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:05 pm 

JayBee wrote:
Hello everyone,

Ms McKay played an important role in history and I intend making sure that her memory is never lost.

James.

Hello James,

I have some pieces of information about Helen McKay's career which I hope may be useful to add.

I will send to you as soon as possible. Thankyou for the PM.

With Best Wishes from
Marian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 pm 

And thank you too.

Marian1 wrote:
JayBee wrote:
Hello everyone,

James.

Hello James,

I have some pieces of information about Helen McKay's career which I hope may be useful to add.

I will send to you as soon as possible. Thankyou for the PM.

With Best Wishes from
Marian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 pm 

Brilliant Marian :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:41 pm 

Thanks, Jon. Sadly, I am not able to look on here much at the moment but am glad that something encouraging came from me posting about the programme I saw and about Helen McKay.

Marian