News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Hairy cell leukemia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 pm 

Seems I have been diagnosed with " Hairy cell leukemia, I'm not showing any symptoms, showed up on annual blood test then bone marrow and bone biopsy. I haven't told anybody in family yet, I will leave that till after Christmas.
I'm told " if I had to have leukemia, this is one to have. As it curable"

Does anybody know anything about it, do you know anybody who had it. Would really like to hear from somebody who has had the treatment.

Pm me if you like, I will keep it confidential.

No jokes at this time please

Post subject: Re: Hairy cell leukemia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:24 am 

Poor you Batty. Thinking of you. Xx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:51 am 

I'm ok thanks.................I think, i'm just concerned about the treatment, i don't think I will have to stay in Hospital. just a day patent. but will I be able to drive etc, will I still be able to walk my dog. I guess i will have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 am 

Hopefully they have some beneficial treatment or even better a cure. I don't know anything about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 pm 

Oh no ... thinking of you <3 I haven't had experience of that (I'd never heard of it until today) ... but if you've been told it's the one to have given a choice then I would think it's curable !! xxxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:44 pm 

I just looked it up ..... Batty all the sites say prognosis is good !!! I did read this
Several treatments are available, and successful control of the disease is common.

Not everyone needs treatment. Treatment is usually given when the symptoms of the disease interfere with the patient's everyday life, or when white blood cell or platelet counts decline to dangerously low levels, such as an absolute neutrophil count below one thousand cells per microliter (1.0 K/uL). Not all patients need treatment immediately upon diagnosis, and about 10% of patients will never need treatment.

If you need treatment have they said what it'll be yet ?? I read on a site they use CHOP ... combination drugs for this sometimes. I have cared for 2 people whilst having that before xxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 pm 

Batty bat wrote:
No jokes at this time please

I would hope that nobody would joke about leukaemia, especially as you have trusted this secret with us

I am sorry you are going through the stress of being diagnosed with this. It seems to me that you may have 1001 questions you need answering I don't know about you, but I always feel not knowing is often more stressful . May I suggest this website which has a forum like this about leukaemia

http://www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/online_ ... sage_board

All the very best and be sure to keep us updated, as I know very little about his illness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 am 

Poor you!! I have not heard of that one before but have known people make a full recovery from other forms of leukemia.