News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:22 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ompkCOEOuA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:04 pm 

The music of Stop The Cavalry is loosely based on two pieces of classical music and didn't start out as an intended Christmas song. I remember where I was when I first heard it and it was the line 'wish I was at home for Christmas' which I, and some girls near me, picked up on. I couldn't wait to hear the track again and it has been a favourite ever since.

Little did I know that I was soon to become acquainted with Jona because of my songwriting and it was interesting hearing about the song from him as the writer and singer. He told me that Stop The Cavalry was not meant to be a Christmas song initially, also other snippets of information about it.

Other favourite popular Christmas songs could be added here if anyone would like to contribute, and other pieces of relevant information i.e.where the song was first heard and if the record was bought locally (just ideas).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:03 pm 

Some of the Christmas songs that have been in the pop charts have nothing to do with the meaning of Christmas but are great pieces of music and become forever associated in your mind with that time of year. Favourites of mine include:

Slade's one in the 70s (Merry Christmas Everybody??)
Stop the Cavalry
"Stay Another Day" (was that E17 or something?)
and that Pogues one, Fairytale of New York.

I certainly wouldn't want to hear any of them in a carol concert, but I do like them all as pieces of music.

There's something heart wrenchingly tragic about the Pogue's one, that such a wreck of a man as Shane MacGowan could have created such great melodies and clever lyrics, and then what happened to Kirsty MacColl a few years later. Very sad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:34 pm 

did you know noddy holder gets roughly a £mil per year in royalties from that song, not bad just like winning the lottery every christmas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:56 pm 

Do you have a link to that information, please Chris, and about royalties for other very popular Christmas songs?

The popularity of some songs is down to how many times they are played and the certainty of Christmas gives a platform for already liked songs to be played from year to year. I wonder how many potentially popular number 1 Christmas songs have been recorded but never see the light of day because they don't get played for the public to hear anything new.