News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 am 

video removed now but thankyou for watching/listening

Last edited by Marian on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Crowded Rooms - demo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 pm 

I started writing Crowded Rooms in a not so crowded room at a songwriter's get-together in London. There was a well-known songwriter there who wished me luck because he saw me writing and when he asked about it, I told him I had got an idea for a song and was writing out the words as they were coming to me.

Some months later, I entered the song into a contest abroad. I was not lucky but although it was not placed, some time later I was offered a contract and told a singer was waiting to record the song. Apparently the songs which had not been lucky were being listened to again and Crowded Rooms had been singled out.

I was then disappointed after the initial excitement because the legal advice and involvement once a contract is offered turned out to be very costly and so, eventually, the offer had to be shelved.

The positive side was that my first demo had been a home-recording just of me singing and accompanying myself on the piano and so, if that had been enough to receive an offer of a publishing contract and recording, then the next step could only get better if I was able to have a professional recording made.

The demo I have posted above was the next step I took with the song.

Post subject: Re: Crowded Rooms - demo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:48 pm 

Some time after the demo was made, Crowded Rooms was selected as a finalist in an International Song Contest in Ireland.
Anne, who had sung the song on the demo recording performed the song perfectly at the event and Crowded Rooms was 2nd. The Turkish song, a ballad, was announced the winner. Kathy Durkin, who had been entertaining as the cabaret star, came to me after the contest and said that she would like to record Crowded Rooms on her forthcoming album. This was great news and I was really thrilled that a dream was going to come true and my song was going to be commercially recorded. :-)

video removed now but, as before, thankyou for watching/listening.

Last edited by Marian on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 am 

Thank you Marian. Crowded Rooms, a very beautiful and touching song one i will never tired of hearing. Take care.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:00 am 

When the song was first released in S.Africa it was sung in Afrikaans by Arina de Witt. She then released it again in English.

Last edited by Marian on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm 

This is an excellent song, whichever version you listen to, and it deserved to win the contest in Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:05 pm 

davrob wrote:
This is an excellent song, whichever version you listen to, and it deserved to win the contest in Ireland.

Thankyou, Davrob,

I was told later that Crowded Rooms had been voted 1st by some of the judges and so that was good news. Because of this, Crowded Rooms will always hold a special place in my heart. :)

Crowded Rooms and other songs -

http://mazzyruth.blogspot.co.uk

http://www.marianheawood.com

Last edited by Marian on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:17 pm 

Nice tune but I'm wondering about the lyrics. It seems to be about a woman who is hankering after someone elses man ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:27 pm 

Listen again. The first verse explains all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 am 

I didn't realise I didn't post this link to Youtube and so here it is ...

This is Ireland's Kathy Durkin's recording of Crowded Rooms. She interpreted it her own way as a ballad with a strong arrangement and backing music. Thankyou if you would like to listen. Marian

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 0147,d.ZGU