News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Women Composers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26 pm 

Yvonne Burgess is not a name I know, but I have heard of Jackie Trent! :D And what about Wally Stott? I can't think of her real name but she's another example of a woman who seems to have needed to masquerade as a man to get anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:42 am 

Wally Stott worked in the music business under that name for many years and that was apparently his real name then, but later became known as Angela Morley. Although this may seem a contradiction to our point that women have more difficulty gaining credibility in the music-business, this case doesn't really apply because of originally being the already known Wally Stott. For a while, as Angela Morley, that name did not appear on the credits with John Williams for film music, but later, the name became known for other films like the Slipper And The Rose.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Morley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:55 am 

When I was almost walking on Cloud 9 because of receiving the news that it was a possibility my song Crowded Rooms could be going to be used for a film in America, I was asked if I would agree to my name not appearing as the composer and for another person's name to appear instead. This would have been a man's name, or so I believed at the time. :-(

I wish I had jumped at the chance now as, with hindsight, it would have given me the start I needed to try to get some more of my work recorded. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:22 pm 

That seems grossly out of order. Do we know what the film was going to be called?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:04 pm 

I'm afraid I didn't hear any more about it so I never knew what the film was going to be. :(

I've remembered some more about the idea that my name didn't appear for the song. I was told that anything else regarding it would be covered in an agreement so I should have still received royalties
but I just wasn't going to get my name on the credits.

I believe that something like this happened on the sheet-music of the song Swanee years ago. :!: