News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 pm 

Thankyou to Davrob for liking my Spinning Carol enough to play it on the Classical Hour on Radiowey today.

I composed The Spinning Carol as a choral work many years ago when I lived in Hayes and belonged to the TOD Choir. In later years, I took the work to a professional recording studio and the Spinning Carol was recorded with the middle section removed so that it could be regarded as a more commercial possibility.

I was thrilled when a well-known male voice choir showed an interest and there was the possibility it would be included on a forthcoming album of theirs. There will be many songwriters who will have had disappointments when their hopes have been built up only to find that plans have changed and the happy prospect of a commercial recording collapses. The disappointment has to be replaced with the thought that, at least, the composition had been in the running for some success.

It is nice to know that the recording is still liked by the people who hear it. It is a shame, though, that the choral version hasn't been performed or recorded. That would be a complete memory of the composition as it was written in Hayes.

Last edited by Marian on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 pm 

This is a fine song that I liked as soon as I heard it for the first time. That is why I have played it every year on my show on Radio Wey. I realised even then that it was crying out for a choral arrangement, and I imagine it being performed by a choir of children. It seems to me to be perfect for that. My thanks go to Marian for letting me have a copy, and for letting me use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:08 pm 

It is always good to have an opportunity to share a recording in the hope that there may be some who will enjoy listening.

I have removed the recording now that Christmas is over and thankyou for listening. It would be lovely to find a children's choir to sing it some day. Marian.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:03 am 

I missed it! Could we have it back please?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:39 am 

I'm not sure how to upload an mp3 now and so I am sorry I missed your request, Jon.

Attachments:
File comment: spinningwords&musicMarianH

Spin Carol.mp3 [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 7514 times ]

Last edited by Marian on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 am 

This is the recording of Nativity which was also composed and performed in Hayes

Attachments:
File comment: Nativitywordsmusic-arrangedMarianH

Natchoir.mp3 [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 7513 times ]

Last edited by Marian on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 pm 

Angel Of Love

Songs with tunes can be considered old-fashioned but these three songs are in categories where, hopefully, tunes can still be accepted and maybe even liked. I hope so.

Last edited by Marian on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 am 

:D Thanks Marian, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:10 pm 

Three excellent songs. "Angel" has become a firm favourite of mine, but all three are beautiful and deserve a wide following.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:08 pm 

You're welcome, Jon. It wasn't easy working out how to upload the recordings. :!:

Thankyou very much for your kind comments, Davrob, especially about 'Angel'. There are so many poignant, personal memories written into the words and also the music.

Regarding the other two, there are many memories of writing the Spinning Carol with the Hayes TOD Choir in mind, and a step further when we sang Nativity in the concert at Botwell Church Hall. That was an occcasion I will never forget. It was unique and one of the best memories I have.

P.S. Also thankyou, Jon, for providing a place to be able to post these memories, comments and recordings. :-)

Last edited by Marian on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.