News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm 

'It can be very therapeutic writing books on subjects close to personal experiences' or even 'life's experiences'. This is what I have been told over the years by several people.
Now that I have finished 3 books I understand how helpful, but difficult it can be to have to think about experiences and memories which have been much easier to try to block out.

For a while, emotional exhaustion sets in but gradually, the rawness of bad experiences begins to be not quite so raw. It is as if the pain has, at last, been buried in soft cushions and some comfort is derived from this feeling, although new memories come to the front of the writer's mind and so they have to be dealt with and faced.

I have not tried to be an author but have tried to make the reading interesting relying on what I had to tell, much of what has never been talked about before regarding different chapters of a life which became different challenges and unexpected experiences.

It is exciting to see books materialising and the experience of creating them at the moment, of my own design, has helped to give a double dimension of not only writing but trying to make some presentable books.

So, as a therapeutic exercise, the project has to be good and rewarding. It has been suggested that I carry on writing as 'there must be more to come' and so it looks as if I will be putting pen to paper again very soon. It has been nice to get more good comments about what I have achieved so far.

Good luck to anyone else who may be working on a similar project.

This is just an update from the previous topic.

Marian

Last edited by Marian on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 pm 

This is not so much a reply as an addition to the idea of writing as therapy. I wonder how many of us have kept a diary, and I don't mean just a record of events, but of opinions, and thoughts on one's life, books, films etc. This too is therapeutic, and of course needs to be read again years later. I don't know about the reading being therapy but it certainly can be instructive. Try it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 am 

A picture of the new books (if I can upload this picture)

Attachment:
newpicsbooks3 003c.jpg
newpicsbooks3 003c.jpg [ 61.22 KiB | Viewed 7346 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:57 am 

Very professional. You could make a business out of that Marian!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

Thankyou, Jon. The comb-binding was not my work though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:17 pm 

davrob wrote:
This is not so much a reply as an addition to the idea of writing as therapy. I wonder how many of us have kept a diary, and I don't mean just a record of events, but of opinions, and thoughts on one's life, books, films etc. This too is therapeutic, and of course needs to be read again years later. I don't know about the reading being therapy but it certainly can be instructive. Try it.

Thankyou for your post, David.

It must be very interesting to look back in old diaries and read what you may have written years ago and to get an idea of what life was like then compared with now.

I didn't exactly write diaries but just what my thoughts and feelings may have been at the time of writing. There was usually too much to fit in a diary so wrote on scraps of paper or in notebooks.

Your word 'instructive' is interesting because someone who knew me years ago in Hayes, and who I have had the pleasure of meeting again, has read my set of books and now knows something of my more traumatic experiences. I am keeping her comments to put with others later, but she has been enlightened on something she couldn't understand by only hearing bits and pieces which we talked about in our short get-togethers.
Maybe what I have written could be called 'instructive' but more in story-form than taken from a diary, but the principle is similar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 pm 

Thankyou for clearing up the problem with the picture(s), Jon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 pm 

Marian.

Well done for all your time and hard work on completing your books, and good luck with
any future books.

Take care

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 am 

Percy

I would just like to thank you for your kind comment and good wishes. I will keep those wishes in mind whilst writing more pages and am sure they will help, especially when reliving memories which are sometimes quite a struggle to think about. Thankyou again.

Marian

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:38 pm 

It is about a month since I posted about how my project was progressing so thought I would just write an update.

I am now on the home-turn and apart from some summing up and some planned additions which will not be actually new writing it will be done, as far as I can see. That will make 4 books which eventually can be made into one if it is worth it. It has been hard work and a lot of concentration, but I hope I will feel a great sense of achievement personally when it is completed because I did not think I could face putting my experiences into words in book form.

Thankyou to anyone who reads and is interested in how my task is progressing.

Marian