News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
Advertisement

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 am 

Being an avid reader (predominately fiction)
I have been using this website for a couple of years and found it to be a godsend.
It does for books what http://www.imdb.comdoes for films and TV.
It's http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
It is It's basically a massive database containing 30,000 authors and 350,000 books.
I suppose being slightly anal, I've kept paper records for over 15 years of all the books I've read and a couple of years ago I entered these into my own database.
Unfortunately most of the books I read, I either pick them up at jumble sales or get them from the library. These days I'm reading a lot of crime fiction and quite often a lot are witten as series, charting both the professional and personal lives of the protagonists. So getting the books the way I do ie. from the library and jumble sales, you can rarely get them in the correct order.
So if I come across a really good book, I look up the author on this website to get the order of the series if any and then reserve the rest of the series on line to pick up from library for a charge of 50p, if neccessary rereading the one I'd already read but this time in correct order. The few times they haven't stocked the book at any of the borough libraries I then order it for my kindle.
Probably wasting my time with this post though as unlike the previous incarnation of this thread in the lost website site, it seems to be more for writer than readers.
Oh well.
Phil
:?:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 am 

I really admire avid readers, something I've never been. Well, I was always an avid reader of newspapers but just don't have the patience ever to read a book from cover to cover.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 am 

I found your post really interesting. I love books but haven't read as much as I would have liked to in recent years always thinking there is something else I need to catch up on before getting immersed in a good book.

I also found it interesting how you have done more in the way you have than just read the books and finished with them. :) Thankyou for the information too.

P.S. I meant to ask how many books you have read?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:04 pm 

Marian wrote:
P.S. I meant to ask how many books you have read?

722 that I can remember.
Phil
:idea:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:01 am 

That's impressive.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:44 am 

Yes, 722 is a lot of books! I am wondering if any of the books were so popular that you went back to reading them again and also if the books have been graded in your database?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm 

I'll take it that you haven't and you haven't? :) I was genuinely interested though, because if you graded the books, you could have a book of your own to write. It was just a passing thought. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 pm 

Marian wrote:
..... I am wondering if any of the books were so popular that you went back to reading them again and also if the books have been graded in your database?

I've read at least 25 of them twice.
Partly because they were so good and partly to read them in the correct sequence.
I haven't graded the books but I have noted some authors that were rubbish.

Marian wrote:
.... I was genuinely interested though, because if you graded the books, you could have a book of your own to write. It was just a passing thought. :idea:

I woundn't be pretentious enough to consider writing a book.

Phil
:idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:09 am 

For Sci-fi lovers, here is a link to my son's publishing company.

http://ticonderogapublications.com/

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm 

Brian wrote:
For Sci-fi lovers, here is a link to my son's publishing company.

http://ticonderogapublications.com/

:D

Only about 4 of their authors are listed in the fantasticfiction database containing 30,000 authors.
Maybe it's just that it's not big on Ozzie authors.
;)