News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm 

I never set out to be an author but have written Part 1 and Part 2 of a book called The Missing Years. It is a mammoth task and reliving past experiences has made me, at times, have to work my way back from those times back to the present again.

To have to focus on things to enable me to write them out has been a disciplined exercise because it is all too easy to do something more enjoyable rather than think about painful things.

I plucked up the courage to let a few people read what I have written and I am receiving good and encouraging comments to carry on with Parts 3 and 4. It is hard work and time-consuming and, at times, have to take a break to gather thoughts and memories.

Has anyone else written or tried to write a book and if so, how did they/you get on?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

I've written the book. (it has only taken 8 years)
One of my sons has published several books and he is working on the technical bits like quantity, cost, distribution etc.
I hope to get it out early next year.

The subject is the Battle of Britain Commemorative Lace Panels and covers the interpretation of them as well as the individual history of the 31 found to date and the story of the family and company who owned the mill that produced them.
Every time I thought I was ready, something else turned up to add to the story the problem was deciding when to stop!
Even tonight I am following the progress of one that is on display in Florida.

It has been a very time-consuming project with lots of attention to minor details and cross-checking with a dwindling number of contacts.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 pm 

That sounds great but 8 years! Was that continuous or did you take time out? The subject sounds really interesting as I have seen your posts about the lace panels. It will be good to know more about them. Could you tell me how many pages your book is and whether you are self-publishing?

The time factor is the worst thing because, just when I decide I know what I am going to write, something else crops up and I have to scribble out notes so I don't forget what the next paragraph is going to be. I have found that I don't like reading what I have just written because it is all too fresh in my mind and so have to leave it for a while and then go back to it to read some time later.

Are you including illustrations in your book and will it be published here?

Thankyou for posting about your venture and good luck :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:54 pm 

At the moment it is 56 pages and is illustrated with details of the lace, newspaper items from 1947 when the first ones were made and displayed throughout the UK.
This could change depending on the production and reproduction quality requirements.

8 years pretty much continuous trawling the net and contacting auction houses whenever one comes on the market.
Newspaper archives, historical locations, background of blitzed buildings.
So many facets and at the same time trying to keep it interesting.
Following the relocations as they change hands or are displayed.
For instance the one presently displayed in Florida is actually on loan from Boston MFA.

I expect it will be available on the net but that depends on the marketing side.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm 

Brian..that sounds absolutely fantastic! So much work and research too. I hope that when people read it they will appreciate the time and work you have put in. Mind you, it must have been very interesting going through the articles and gathering together pictures and information. Are you doing much of your own writing in the book or is it mainly the illustrations and articles with writing underneath?

I wish that I could just find a subject of interest for a book rather than my story but a lot of people have said I should write about it and it is quite therapeutic, even though harrowing in parts.

Congratulations for keeping going with your masterpiece over the years you have.

My books so far cover about 150 A5 pages and all text so far. People have got to be really interested to keep reading. Someone said it was addictive so that seems like a good comment.

Looking forward to hearing progress reports of how your own book is coming on and when it is completed. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:39 pm 

That's very impressive Brian. The closest I have come is writing a couple of technical manuals at work to help colleagues learn how to use new computer systems and software :( If instead of running websites I'd put all that time and effort into writing novels I could have had J K Rowling asking for my autograph by now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:54 pm 

There is still time, Jon. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 am 

There are captions on the photos and a lot of original text regarding the history of the manufacturers, for example, a grandson of the founder was killed just 6 days into the war while attempting to land a Hurricane at night.
I have included a copy of his death cert. war grave and family photos etc.
Weaving notes that dispel most of the existing statistics and descriptions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am 

It all sounds so interesting. When you say the 'manufacturers', I din't quite understand what you meant i.e.the manufacturers of ...?
I have been interested in the Hawker Hurricanes as Sir Sidney Camm, the designer was born, lived and worked in Windsor where my family lived.
All the original notes you have should give your book that extra appeal. Have you told many people about it as you have been working on it? :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 pm 

I admire anyone who can write a book !! It takes alot of dedication and commitment .... well done you two !! I'd love to read both when they are in print !!!