News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:26 pm 

Many years ago when I was living in Hayes I wrote some children's stories. They were quite short and I aimed for them to be suitable to read to my own children before they went to bed. My second little boy was just a baby and so I would try the stories out by reading them, as I finished them, to my daughter and other son. They loved the stories, and so I sent them to a publisher to see what reaction I would get if they were looked at from a publisher's point of view.

After waiting a while, I was pleased to receive a letter which wasn't the rejection I was expecting. After all, in those days, I believe it was quite unusual for ordinary members of the public to submit 'home produced' work for perusal by the people in another world to us i.e. publishers. I had not even heard of literary agents and so 'took the plunge' and tried my own way of getting someone in the publishing world to see my work.
In the reply I received, I was told something to the effect that I should write something for older children as that was what they were looking for at that time. To me, that was an amazing reply because the rejection was not there and I felt that my stories were well-received and for a first submission, I was not discouraged from writing more and, on the contrary.

Now, looking at my manuscripts, and seeing the Snowman and Father Christmas beautifully illustrated in beautiful books and sold worldwide, I only wish I had been experienced enough and wealthy enough to have been able to hire someone to give
my stories the same treatment.
I was thinking up similar ideas and before books like these were published and so I was actually doing something right. Life would have taken a different route for me but, at least, I can still see my own manuscripts even now, and know they are the stories my own children loved to hear.

Raymond Briggs says that it was having his work published which was important, rather than the money earned and I so wish that this had happened for me. My life couldn't have changed so drastically and people, especially family, even my husband at that time, could have been so proud of me.

The books Father Christmas and The Snowman did it for Raymond Briggs and it could have happened for me but sadly, it didn't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 pm 

Even the advertisers have cashed in to the Snowman as this amusing Scottish TV ad shows; :D

http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/snowman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 am 

New words to the song on the ad. as well. Someone had some fun writing that. :)