News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 183  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 am 

Jon/Brian. Thanks for posting.

Oddly enough its really not that cold, though I can see why someone from Western Australia might think it was !! Compared to November and December 2010 this is nigh on tropical. Then again that spell was record breaking for most of the UK in terms of cold.

What a lot of folk have noticed, and commented on is just how dry the air is. Im seeing a lot of reports of people suffering very sore throats as a result. That should change as we head into the weekend and the Atlantic fronts try to push eastwards.

Still a good degree of uncertainty, but I stick by my recent prediction for much of London and The South East to be affected by snow this weekend. ( Sorry Craig ! ) .

Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:36 am 

Moley wrote:
Jon/Brian. Thanks for posting.

Oddly enough its really not that cold, though I can see why someone from Western Australia might think it was !! Compared to November and December 2010 this is nigh on tropical. Then again that spell was record breaking for most of the UK in terms of cold.

What a lot of folk have noticed, and commented on is just how dry the air is. Im seeing a lot of reports of people suffering very sore throats as a result. That should change as we head into the weekend and the Atlantic fronts try to push eastwards.

Still a good degree of uncertainty, but I stick by my recent prediction for much of London and The South East to be affected by snow this weekend. ( Sorry Craig ! ) .

Moley 8-)

Hmm; ` Weather Refugees ' heading to London Ontario ?

Our forecast for the next several days is for above freezing days with occasional dips below during the night !

( Am staying at my daughters in London Ont. due to health problems; she works at the local hospitals emergency departments and teaches Emergency Medicine at the University of Western Ontario )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:19 am 

-4 this morning.

I understand the brass monkeys have filed a letter of complaint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 am 

I think they could put their files to better use.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:05 pm 

Somerset has snow on high ground and ice and snow on the cars.
This is a novelty to our boy.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:19 pm 

^^ That ties in with other reports I have seen of snow still laying in parts of the West Country, several days after the modest snowfall they had there earlier this week. Its due to a combination of frozen ground and very dry air. Im sure they are enjoying their visit to that part of the country Brian !

Locally the overnight minimum temperatures seem quite varied over a relatively small area. Kremm reports -4.0c, here in Northwood I recorded -3.3c, Raf Northolt was -5.1c, and 3 miles up the road from me in Watford -8.1c was logged.

This weekend really is becoming something of a rollercoaster ride for the 'will it/won't snow in our region ' brigade. That includes me I might add. Its the price we pay for being a small island on the edge of the North Atlantic and the Continental European mainland.

Despite some very mixed signals in the last few hours, I will stick with my prediction that I expect a fairly widespread snow event for much of London and the South East later on Saturday and into Sunday. What I can't say at this stage is whether this is likely to remain as snow throughout, or turn to rain later, it really is that finely balanced. Spin a coin anyone ?

Moley :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:23 pm 

They are going to Edinburgh by train on Sunday.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 pm 

Just come back from a couple of days in Devon across the Moors and on the high ground snow was stil laying Mon and Tues but was all gone on Friday except from high up on Friday when we came back got a couple of pics but forgot how to upload :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm 

Weather related photos would be great on this thread Jim, unfortunately I'm like you, I can't remember how to upload them : -(

I hope to take some this weekend, so if anyone can offer some advice, please do.

Moley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 am 

Temperatures locally are dropping like a stone tonight. Currently -6.3c in Northwood, -6.4c at Raf Northolt.

I would say thats quite exceptional at this this time of year, especially with no snow cover.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 183  Next