News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 183  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 am 

Well I've got my sledge out ready ... no snow ... yet :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:27 pm 

Not too long to wait now Jane, the snow express has left the station and is heading our way !! Currently its in a line roughly south west to north east.....so from about Dorset to Sunderland and slowly making its way eastwards. Im expecting it to reach us by evening, say around 9pm at its current rate.

Confirmed snow reports have come from Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wales that I know of. Further west though it seems the snow may have turned to rain, something that may also happen here in the early hours of Sunday morning. If it does I think there is a good chance of it turning back to snow later, the rain is due to one small mild air slot in the approaching weather front.

My weather station finally settled at -7.1c for Northwood, Raf Northolt was -7.8c, and Benson ( I suspect ) in Oxfordshire reported an as yet uncomfirmed -12.4c. As I said earlier, remarkably cold figures, especially with no snow on the ground.

Travel safely and thanks for reading. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:13 pm 

Just heard from boy in Somerset that the snow has just started and the news just said heathrow is closed due to heavy snow 15cm!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:37 pm 

^^ Yes Somerset got the snow earlier, in some places it has turned to sleet, rain, or worst possible option, freezing rain. Im expecting it to stay mainly a snow event here in the South East. The weather front has slowed down on its way east as it comes up against the very cold air over our region.

Heathrow most definately hasn't closed, though some of Sundays flights are being cancelled in anticipation. I suspect these will be domestic flights, its not snowing there yet. I expect the snow to reach us here in West London around 7pm tonight, light snow at first, becoming heavier by around 9pm.

Recent indications are that for parts of London and the South East we could see the higher totals being forecast.....10-15cms ( 4-6 inches ) in places.

Thanks for posting and reading, and take care out there if travelling. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:59 pm 

On the radio they were saying Heathrow was cutting 30% of tommorows flight in anticitipation of snow,makes you wonder when airport elsewhere just get on with it :roll:
anyhow,who can i sue for hurt feelings and not being able to go for my sunday drive tommorow? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 pm 

4 - 6 " dusting and they shut down flights ?

More seriously; that is tough to drive in without winter tyres and it sucks petrol !

We are still suffering from a shortage of winter sports tourists due to the LACK of snow this winter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 am 

Spot on Moley :-) Thank you once again x

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 am 

Last week at work in Woking they were all discussing whether it would or wouldn't snow. One site had this and another had that.

I cut and posted Moley's forecast to the doubters with the phrases like 'battleground' ' Saturday night' etc.

I've often told them what is coming, often opposite to the BBC forecast that they seem to rely on. I just tell them "I know a man........."

Yet again Moley has come up trumps :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 am 

8-) :oops:

First of all I would like to thank this website for giving me the chance to post my weather predictions here, and I doff my cap to those folk who make this possible. Secondly, I would like to thank everyone who reads this topic, and especially those who post on it. I should emphasise I am NOT a meteorologist, just a keen amateur.......my qualifications are zero !!

So.... before I look ahead, I'll take a quick look back at the events of the last 24 hours or so, and how it affected us in London and The South East.

With a cold air mass over our region, and a milder Atlantic weather front approaching from the west I thought it was going to be a battleground, and so it proved to be. The snow reached Hillingdon around 5.30pm on Saturday, and didn't let up for at least 8 hours that I know of. Here in Northwood I measured a depth of 12.5cms ( 5 inches ). Further east the snow intensified later in the night and depths of 15-20cms ( 6- 8 inches ) have been reported and confirmed from East Anglia, Essex and Kent.
The dividing line was that fine that Brighton had rain more or less for the whole time, and Eastbourne just along the coast had snow. It was always going to be a forecasting nightmare.

Now looking ahead.........

Its a slow and gradual thaw overnight, but temperatures will continue to rise on Monday and Tuesday. There is a slight risk of light snow for some on Monday morning, but the thaw will continue for a day or two.

From Wednesday onwards I think we could be seeing the cold continental air pushing back into the The South East , and again thats something I will be keeping a watch on. Expect some quite severe frosts from around midweek.

Thanks again. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:15 am 

Considering it has been above zero for over 24hrs now with yesterday reaching 3 I'm surprised at the amount of snow still left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 183  Next