News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
Advertisement

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 183  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am 

Moley wrote:
8-) :oops:

Secondly, I would like to thank everyone who reads this topic, and especially those who post on it. I should emphasise I am NOT a meteorologist, just a keen amateur.......my qualifications are zero !!

All the more reason why the salaried professionals with their computers and high tech widgets should be embarrassed. Well done to you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:58 pm 

Is that it Moley ? Or can we expect any more snow :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:22 pm 

SOT wrote:
Moley wrote:
8-) :oops:

Secondly, I would like to thank everyone who reads this topic, and especially those who post on it. I should emphasise I am NOT a meteorologist, just a keen amateur.......my qualifications are zero !!

All the more reason why the salaried professionals with their computers and high tech widgets should be embarrassed. Well done to you!

In all fairness SOT I base my predictions ( and thats all they are ) on a mix and match of the computer models, weather patterns and what the amateurs and professionals are saying and thinking, then try and interpret it all. Sometimes I get lucky and it all falls into place ! Luckily for me it did this weekend.

To answer Janes question.....there is a very low possibility of further light snow overnight Monday into Tuesday morning. I would put the odds at less than 10% for the London area, perhaps 10-15% for the far eastern regions of the South East. Wednesday onwards looks as though we could be back in the freezer for a few days with some low daytime temperatures and overnight frost. Thursday looks as though there might be some snow potential though, but again I would call that a low risk on current information.

Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am 

Just had some very light snow here in Hayes :-) Only lasted about 10 mins though x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm 

Moley down here on the South Coast we have had wonderful crisp, crunchy snow, it is just above freezeing but the snow remains, its not gone slushy or black. Very icy when the sun goes down, no ice on the sea, but snow on the sand, my red camelia is in bloom with snow on it and the bluebells are poking thru the snow in the woods, up by 2,5 inches. So now waiting for extordinary sunshine.
Bucks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:05 pm 

Im getting a bit confused now with Kremm and Brian posting on another thread !!

To answer Brians question elsewhere though, the Stevenson Screen set up is indeed the method still used to record official temperatures. It has to be situated 2 metres ( Approx 6 feet ) above a grass surface to record accurately. It is used by the Met Office and a good many amateurs who can afford it.

Talking of temperatures, I mentioned a couple of posts back that we would probably be seeing the return of the frigid continental air mass in London and the South East by midweek, with some quite severe overnight frosts. Over the snowfields of East Kent and East Anglia it seems the very cold air never left in the last couple of days, with many reports of daytime temperatures below 0c, and night time temperatures as low as -9.5c in some locations.

That cold air is pushing further west now, and temperatures are falling rapidly right across our region. Recent reports show temperatures of between -4 and -6c already in Suffolk, Essex and Kent. Here in Northwood its currently -3.0c, and again it is very dry air. There is however an outside chance of further snow showers overnight, particularly in the east of the region.

I would not rule out some rural areas in the South East seeing temperatures fall as low as -10 to -12c tonight ( Tuesday ), and daytime maximums may struggle to reach 1-3c for many of us in the next few days. This cold spell is expected to last until at least the weekend, beyond that is still uncertain.

Thanks again for reading and posting. Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:36 am 

^^ I spoke too soon in the post above. Cloud cover is encroaching over the South East and temperatures are actually rising again in some locations. Weather eh ?? As always it does what it wants when it wants.

Moley :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 am 

Moley wrote:
Im getting a bit confused now with Kremm and Brian posting on another thread !!

To answer Brians question elsewhere though, the Stevenson Screen set up is indeed the method still used to record official temperatures. It has to be situated 2 metres ( Approx 6 feet ) above a grass surface to record accurately. It is used by the Met Office and a good many amateurs who can afford it.

Sorry for any confusion, I was offering the way in which the temperature was obtained as a possible explanation for the discrepancies in readings.
8-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:23 am 

Me too :)

As said, temperature stayed higher than expected with a tropical -1 this morning rising to zero by the time I arrived at work.

Looking at the BBC forecast Sunday should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm 

^^ Lol. It was me who was getting confused, I tried to transfer your posts over to this thread !!

Im not sure about Sunday Kremm, but there is growing agreement for " Mild v Cold Battleground Part II " to take place as early Thursday night/Friday morning in London and the South East. Quite possibly later than that though.

A sytstem looks set to slowly trundle from north to south on Thursday, and while it will definately contain precipitation, there is again uncertainty as to what kind. It could well start off as rain further north ( or worse...freezing rain ) but looks as though it may readily turn to snow through the spine of the country. Ie: The Midlands, parts of East Anglia, and the northern home counties.

If we hold onto the colder air here in the South East it will most likely result in further snow for us, providing the front doesn't stall and fizzle out in the meantime. That is a possibility. My own thoughts are that any snow will not spread quite as far east or south as last weekends event, so Kent and Sussex, possibly Surrey would avoid the worst of it.

As always with the weather, it could all change nearer the time.

Thanks for posting and reading. Moley 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 183  Next