News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: World Wide Weather.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:06 am 

Moley wrote:
Batty bat wrote:
There talking about a thunder storm here in the next couple of days, with snow. It's called "thunder snow"

Good call Batty bat. Heres an example of 'thundersnow'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJt4nV6hM1Y

There was a clip on You Tube of a similar ' Thundersnow' event at Heathrow, but that seems to have been removed :(

I saw an item on the tv last night, they had a bad storm of " thunder snow" in Toronto on Saturday. The tempeture dropped 4 deg C in one hour. It stuck and burntout a couple of houses for good measure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:51 am 

Had another BBQ last night.
Forecast 36C today.....ho hum
:D ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 am 

Brian wrote:
Had another BBQ last night.
Forecast 36C today.....ho hum
:D ;)

What's the wildfire situation like in Oz at the moment Brian?

The news agencies have been obsessed with the snow over here as if no other world news is important. We've had live broadcasts at 10:30pm from empty snowless train stations, others outside locked Schools and my favourite, one from inside a pub that might (or might not) get snowed in. Consequently, Australia (and the associate expensive satellite links) seem to have disappeared from our screens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:48 pm 

Here's a good website that gives all the latest reports....
Most activity in inhabited areas this year has been in the Eastern states.
The ones in the centre would most likely have been caused by lightning strikes.

http://www.bushfirecrc.com/fire-locations

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 pm 

From one extreme to the other, it went down to -7°C here last night and is still only hovering around freezing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm 

If you think it's cold there in the UK, I've just left Winnipeg, MB. After a night stopover. It's -28 Deg C, with a wind chill of - 40 deg C.
This were you leave you car block heater plugged into the mains or leave the engine running overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

Batty bat wrote:
If you think it's cold there in the UK, I've just left Winnipeg, MB. After a night stopover. It's -28 Deg C, with a wind chill of - 40 deg C.
This were you leave you car block heater plugged into the mains or leave the engine running overnight.

We have friends who live 120 miles west of Winnipeg and it never ceases to amaze me how it can be more 30C in the summer and less than -30C in the winter. How the hell do you even build houses, roads and water mains in a place that has such a variation in temperatures (let alone live there!!?)???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm 

SOT wrote:
Batty bat wrote:

We have friends who live 120 miles west of Winnipeg and it never ceases to amaze me how it can be more 30C in the summer and less than -30C in the winter. How the hell do you even build houses, roads and water mains in a place that has such a variation in temperatures (let alone live there!!?)???

It's a great country to live in, I've never looked back and said " I wish I was back in the UK" most houses are built manly of wood, with brick, aluminum or vinal sidings. With good fitting door and windows.most have basements. Water and sewer come under the house 6' - 7' deep, not into the side.

Clothing is also a lot different, however the kids are a diffrent breed. I've seen it at 2 or 3 deg C, with kids walking home from scool in tee shirts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:13 pm 

We're in for another week of over 30C
(phew!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 am 

I do feel sorry for you Brian, nothing like waking up to a nice white frost covering, and scraping it off the windscreen before moving off, the car nice and fresh, a little slip, and slide, as you move down the road, with people rushing about in heavy coats, none of this shorts, and sun hats here, all nice fresh cool air, most likely easier to keep warm against the cold, than cool against the heat, 10c is just right, lubbley jubbley. :? :o :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next