News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:31 am 

The A40

I can remember back to the 70's where once you'd cleared the White City lights, coming out of town, it was plain sailing all the way through. We had roundabouts at most junctions then as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:40 am 

I spent a couple of days driving in Liverpool , last week , as all the bus lanes are suspended , the traffic moved faster , for both cars and buses , it was safer , not having to look all the time for bus lane marking etc
at last a common sense move ,good on them

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:44 am 

Makes me want to move to Liverpool.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:08 pm 

I think their aim is to reduce car journeys. When I go up town I never drive and it's nice to be on the 140 zooming up the bus lane from the White Hart to the target. Without it the bus would be slower.

Not defending it but I can see why it's done.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:54 pm 

But at other sections of the route, I think you'll find the bus is stuck in traffic jams that wouldn't exist were it not for the bus lanes.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:02 am 

Difficult one

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 am 

If they want people to use public transport, bus lanes giving priority treatment are a good idea. The trouble is, that that's all the bus companies/local authorities are offering.

Cheaper fares, more (comfortable) buses and my personal gripe, better bus stops with proper shelters of a sufficient size to keep the numbers of passengers expected to use the stop must all be part of an integrated solution.

The busy bus stop opposite Hillingdon Hospital main car park hasn't even got a shelter, and the size of the bus stop shelter opposite the A&E ramp is woefully inadequate. Dont even get me started on the crap bus station in Uxbridge!!

The challenge is to get people to leave their warm, secure car - with their own personal space, music and often air conditioning -and a method which takes them door to door way from poor weather. This is gunna need a bit more than white lines and bus lanes!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 am 

Quite true

They recently removed the shelter from Yeading Tesco so it's out in all weathers now. I think they removed it because someone was removing the bolts that secure it to the ground so an elf n safety measure. A better fixing system would be far better but it's only bus passengers :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 pm 

From the horses mouth :

As some of you know I have links to the bus companies.

As a result of the above statements I've been speaking to a colleague responsible for bus running times on a few routes along our roads. Apparently there was talk about removing the Yeading Lane and Church Road bus lanes a few years back.

After a study it was found that from Kingshill Avenue to the Target the buses would be delayed by 6 or 7 minutes just for those sections combined. Whether that was the reason they remain we don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 pm 

I'm quite certain their study was flawed.