News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 pm 

Maybe I am turning into a grumpy old man, as I am becoming increasing annoyed at Post Office vans parking right across the pavement while picking up mail from a Post Office branch, despite plenty of parking spaces being available in a service road.

As a result of this ignorance, I have witnessed both the elderly and mums with young kids, forced into the busy service road (Long Lane near Hillingdon Circus) to walk around the van.

I asked Postman Pratt recently why he didn't use the marked spaces and got a mouthful of abuse from him. On another day, a passing traffic warden said they can park where they like as - despite them now being a private company - they are on the 'Queen's business'

Even if this is true, it still seems wrong when there's free parking available 6 foot away!

If I had more time, I would go and stand on that bit of pavement to stop this abuse of privileges. Perhaps something to look forward to when I retire and become a real life Victor Meldrew :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 am 

That's a fascinating reply from the warden. I wonder if it's correct.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:24 am 

I feel the same way

Many years ago, before Yeading Tesco was built we used to go to the shops at the junction of Willow Tree Lane and Yeading lane. The pavement was strewn with cars making it difficult with a pram. Unfortunately the pram had some sharp metal on both sides that unfortunately used to catch many pavement parked cars as I refused to walk in the road - shame that :)