News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car Horns
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 am 

Jon wrote:
Wow!!! That must have been TERRIFYING!!

So... did you get your horn fixed after that?
Yes, the failure of the horn was due to 'oxidised contacts' inside the horn button – “through lack of use”.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:21 am 

I was joking. I thought the car was probably a write off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:33 am 

Jon wrote:
I was joking. I thought the car was probably a write off.
No, the car wasn't a right off. Fortunately it had a proper heavy steel bumper and bolt on wings. A more modern car would probably have crumpled into a heap of expensive scrap plastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 am 

Jon wrote:
I confess, yes, I used my horn again tonight. I was coming off the M25 at Heathrow to join the M4. The car exiting in front of me got slower... and slower.... and ... STOPPED COMPLETELY!!! He'd clearly decided he'd chosen the wrong exit. He totally stopped in the middle of a major exit from the M25, and once I'd passed him, in my mirror I saw him drive across oncoming traffic to the hard shoulder. I presume his next trick was going to be to reverse along the hard shoulder and carry out a death-defying manoeuvre to get back on the M25.

Later, as I joined the A40 at Northolt to head in to London, I patiently let a people carrier which was in the wrong lane come in front of me, then as we both joined the A40 he, for no reason at all, went straight across to the middle lane causing a car coming down the middle lane to brake hard (he tooted and put his lights on full beam).

My own suspicion is that many of the people responsible for the mind blowingly awful driving that's an increasing feature of British roads have not passed a UK driving test.

I think a good many driving incidents around Heathrow can be attributed to folk coming straight off a long haul flight jet lagged, and jumping straight into a hire car. This is a subject which often crops up on TripAdvisor. I and many other posters there will always strongly discourage it, but the advice often falls on deaf ears.

I agree though, I'm convinced there are an increasing number of people who have never legally taken let alone passed a UK driving test, despite the fact the law requires them to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:46 pm 

Saturday morning, weekend and no need to get up early for work, bliss until someone across the road feels the need to sit on his car horn to try and get whoever he was waiting for to hurry up. Didn't want that lie in anyway thanks... :twisted: Some people just don't have a care... :(

@Moley. Regarding Heathrow and Hire cars. I have seen some very strange, dangerous and stupid driving around the roads of Heathrow over the years whilst working there and can say I believe most of it is from travellers from overseas jumping in a hire car without any idea of our driving rules and regulations.
Just a few include one driver trying to negotiate the roundabout under junction 4 of the M4 the wrong way, another driving on the wrong side of the Perimeter road. I always keep my eyes open and mind on the road whilst driving too and from work.. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:20 pm 

Firestorm: that is SO INCONSIDERATE, SELFISH AND ANNOYING!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:32 pm 

Back in the early sixties I was stopped by a"police road check"Knowing my FORD POP VANS' Horn did NOT work,when asked to sound it (with my window down) as i pressed the steering whell centre shouted out BEEBE.as loud as I could.I was then given the all clear and asked to drive on... Phew!! Than a quick trip to the scrap-yard for a new horn ...cost 1s - 6d (7 ½ pence)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 pm 

No way! That's hilarious!!!