News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:05 am 

Beware everyone.... average speed checks are going up all over London, including on the A40 between Paddington and the Polish War Memorial.

This means that on the 3 lane motorway grade section which used to be national speed limit but has for years now been a ludicously low max 40, you really will have to do 40. It's going to be very, very hard. I've often seen police cars and motorcylcists doing 60 on those stretches.

The system goes live sometime this month apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:22 pm 

I heard that, September start.

50mph from the Polish to Hoovers then 40 from there on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 pm 

With the budget indicating that a 'road fund' is being created from car tax to repair our roads (finally), the Governemnt need to generate another income stream for to replace the loss.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 am 

From what I can see it's 50mph from the Polish then 40mph from Hoovers.

As well as the A40 I've spotted somewhere that the North Circular either has them as well or they are under construction from Hangar lane clockwise past Ikea.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:11 am 

Well you would be stupid to do more than that on that stretch anyway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:36 am 

The exact locations of the new A40 specs cameras have been plotted and should appear in the PGPSW database shortly.

50mph from the Polish then 40mph from just before Hoovers and the jobs a goodun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:25 pm 

Totally disagree John. The limits are way way too low.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:41 pm 

If ( and its a big IF) this was really an accident prevention initiative, why is the A40 between The Polish War Memorial & Swakeleys not part of the scheme?

The straight high speed section of A40 past RAF Northolt is one of the worst accident spots on the London stretch of the A40, yet the average speed cameras will not cover this section

Its a ca$h cow - nothing less and nothing more

I also note that the 2 lane section under the target is to be reinstated to 3 lanes again and the road is to be widened eastbound from Target to Greenford Roundabout to 4 lanes. That should speed things up and create more fines :roll: :roll:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/street ... awings.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:47 pm 

It's interesting. I lived in Belgium for four years as a teenager and am a member of a couple of Facebook groups there. The city of Ghent is being destroyed by loony green policies and people are going mad on the facebook groups. Roads have been closed to traffic, one way systems installed, extortionate parking schemes, the whole city now choked in traffic jams. People are saying it's now taking them an hour just to get out of Ghent to go to work, instead of a few minutes. There's also widespread suspicion about how the man doing it ever got elected as he's from west Flanders and people can't believe he would have got enough votes in Ghent which is in east Flanders... the Flemish are very territorial. I've dropped a few notes on these forums about Agenda 21. I have also seen similar things going on in parts of Canada in the past. .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 am 

Funny you mention traffic jams.

I went out to the Harefield tip last week and decided to come back via Victoria Road in Ruislip. The main issue down there from Ruislip Manor to South Ruislip wasn't traffic but cars parked on both sides of the road causing frequent bottlenecks. Look almost everywhere during the day and almost all non major roads are choked with cars. I don't see the point of having a car parked up all day in the street.

I can understand the ones near transport hubs but often they aren't.