News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40 pm 

Is it just me or are there more people nowadays who can't be bothered to use their indicators when making a turn? It is so annoying and potentially dangerous, they seem to have no regard for other motorists on the road.
Or is it that I am turning into a grumpy old g*t?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:36 pm 

It isn't just you RK. This has been an increasing problem for some considerable time. Approaching roundabouts, navigating them, and leaving a roundabout, are areas where no signalling are a frequent source of annoyance. The worst failure is, no signal when leaving a roundabout; I'm waiting to enter a roundabout because a vehicle is approaching my point of entry from my right, and the approaching vehicle turns left off the roundabout into the road I'm waiting on, without signalling a left turn. This means I have to wait unnecessarily before I can know the road is clear for me to proceed.

Another issue that I find annoying at this time of year during dark evenings, is stationary traffic in front, waiting at red traffic lights, etc. with the driver's foot on the footbrake pedal, and the blinding array of red lights at the rear of their vehicle unnecessarily blinding waiting drivers behind. Why don't drivers use their handbrake and take the foot off the brake pedal. Proper use of the handbrake also reduces the risk of the vehicle in front from rolling back; it also reduce fuel consumption.

A common problem today is the unnecessary use of fog lamps, especially the front fog lamps. Four modern headlamps, all of about 55watts each, produce a lot of lumins to blind oncoming drivers with, especially on wet roads. And it isn't necessary.

I used to enjoy night driving many years ago, but these days I detest night driving because of the generally poor use of all vehicle lights and signal flashers.

Vehicles parked with all headlamps blazing away is also very common these days.

There is a lot of political talk these days of vehicle pollution “killing people”; and drivers complaining about the rising cost of road fuel. But very few seem to understand that the unnecessary use of powerful vehicle lights can, and does, significantly increase fuel consumption, and increase air pollution. The smaller the vehicle engine, the greater the effect of using lots of unnecessary powerful lamps. Two headlamps and two front fog lamps blazing away is approximately one third of one horsepower going up in smoke and heat. Add to that, fans, heaters for front and rear screens, outside mirror heaters, and heated seats in the car; powerful Hi-Fi entertainment, air conditioning; and a lot of fuel is being burnt to power all those electrical items.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm 

It's not just you. I regularly avoid collisions at a roundabout near me by assuming someone is going to do a right turn even though they're not indicating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:29 pm 

As annoying as the roundabout issue is, it's the laziness on motorways and dual carriageways that switches on my grumpy old g1t button!

How hard is it to signal your intention to pull out to the next lane or return to the other? In the event you have missed somebody in a blind spot or have succumbed to that motorway death stare bought on by hours of boredom. a flashing amber indicator may well prevent a high speed collision.

I would guess that those like me who indicate are in the minority now

And don't even get me on undertaking!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:51 am 

Agreed....though also don't even get me on people that poodle along in middle or outside lanes for absolutely no reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

When I see no indicating it is usually because the driver has only one hand free due to a mobile or a coffee cup. These are the drivers that should be taken off the road.