News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
Hillingdon weather
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
Advertisement

It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 am 

Are we ruled by total idiots?

For the duration of the Olympics, the outside lane of the A40 has been coned off to ALL traffic (totally coned off) as the London-bound carriageway approaches Hanger Lane. This isn't an "Olympic Lane", they come later. It's coned off to everyone.

That leaves the usual one lane for those leaving the A40 for the North Circular, and ONLY ONE SINGLE LANE for those carrying on towards Central London.

This is total, utter madness. To cone off a lane for no particular reason, reducing a main artery into London to ONE SINGLE LANE.

This has created appalling tailbacks in the mornings, heading back to Northolt. As bad or worse as the usual ones, but in the school holidays these usually disappear.

There can be no possible rhyme, reason or logic for this.

I'm lucky..... I work nights, so am heading the opposite direction, but seeing the suffering on the other carriageway, for NO REASON AT ALL, makes me furious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 am 

I assume that it's just cones with no sight of anyone actually doing any work ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 am 

Indeed. And a sign saying its for the Olympics!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 pm 

The London bound Olympic lane starts just the other side of the hanger lane underpass (outside the Travelodge Hotel). My understanding is that the cones are to drip feed cars through the the underpass towards the Olympic Lane. This is to prevent queuing in the tunnel as vehicle's jostle in to the two available lines and merge with traffic joining the A40 from the new(?) road from the Park Royal estate.

The underpass is not fitted with the fancy air handling equipment that modern tunnels have and the potential for a build up of unhealthy exhaust fumes is greater.

The problem is that quite often during the day, when Olympic traffic demand is light, the Olympic Lane is not is use, so all 3 eastbound lanes are open. However, the plastic cone bottle neck west of the underpass is a permanent feature and unable to be switched on and off as the ORN is.

Why on earth they simply did start the Olympic lane where the cones are is beyond me. This would prevent fumes in the tunnel and be able to be switched on and off like all the ORN lanes are. Seems to me that the cones are an afterthought, as the highly paid traffic engineers missed this eventuality during he planning.

I have really enjoyed the games so far, but I am looking forward to having London back again as soon as possible as moving through the capital is a bit of a lottery. A colleague of mine tried to drive from Marble Arch to Parliament Square last week. It should take under 10 minutes, but it took him 1.5 hours as he had to go via Aldwych!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:01 pm 

05:30 this morning: They've gone!!!! No more cones

I didn't know Boris read this forum!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

This is a very powerful forum :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm 

i've found that driving around west london has
been easier these last few weeks.same with
central london,though i'm glad the cones have
now gone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm 

the jam was back this morning but mainly heading up to the roundabout at hanger lane,coming back tonight just before 8 the traffic eastbound was stationary back to greenford :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:08 am 

Any cause you could see?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:04 am 

nope,i get on at hanger lane ;) .