News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday Advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 am 

I'm thinking of taking a weeks holiday at the end of the month as a surprise for my husband birthday but I have a few a questions

1) when would you book to get the best deal? Would you leave it til very last minute a couple of days before or longer a week, 2 weeks

2) where to choose it's only a week so don't want to spend too long at airports or travelling to hotel?

3) which web sites would you recommend?

4) I'm thinking Portugal, Malta, but not sure what the weather would be like would like it warmer than here

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Post subject: Re: Holiday Advice
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:35 am 

We always use "Tripadvisor" website.
not sure if it is the same over there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 am 

Thanks will check it out

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am 

Whatever you do, check it out properly. Watchdog is often broadcasting horror stories from unfinished hotels to disgusting conditions.

Whatever you decide, have fun :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 am 

Tripadvisor is VERY useful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:01 am 

Jon wrote:
Tripadvisor is VERY useful.

I'm a member and quite frequent poster on TripAdvisor and I agree it can be a useful source of information and advice.

I can't answer specific questions but if anyone is thinking of using the Tripadvisor website I can offer some guidance as to how it works and hopefully point you in the right direction. It consists of a whole host of forums and sub forums so it's not always easy to negotiate your way around the website.

Moley 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm 

Our museum is ranked number 6 of things to do in Perth.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractio ... ralia.html

:D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:45 pm 

Malta,cant remember the time of year but it was hot/dusty/expensive/not a lot to do,portugal.....sardines and tomatoes yummy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:34 pm 

The Med area will not quite as warm as you are used too at the end of January.

Given the weather conditions there will not be much available anyway for the eastern end.

Malta/Portugal will not be lying on the beach weather.

If you want warmth and sun best you can do this time of year is the Canaries. I booked one in Lanzarote for February only yesterday.

Work out a cheap flight Ryanair/Flybe/Easyjet/Others from the regional airport of your choice to a destination.

Once you have that and your dates then go to Alpharooms and look for some accommodation in your desired resort for the same dates.

http://www.alpharooms.com/

Only use Tripadvisor/Expedia for checking customer reviews on your chosen accommodations and resort advice. These are still online travel agents and charge commission to accommodation providers who load their prices. Alpharooms is the same but is the cheapest in the market.

When checking the reviews be aware that the fact there are some bad does not make the place a bad one. There will always be some people who expect the earth for little and will post negatively when their expectations are not met.

I have stayed in a fewf places on a couple of occasions slated by the reviews on Tripadvisor but found them comfortable and ok. If there are some good/some bad then it is probably ok.

So once you have the accommodation you want book it. then go straight back in and book the flights. Part of your research should include how far is the resort from the airport as you will need to arrange your own transfer. Alpharooms will offer you a car (at cost) as part of the booking process anyway (collect/dropoff) at airport. Quite reasonable model for around £90.00 for the week.
I use this method usually at least twice a year.

Apart from when I go on cruise ships I always book my breaks like this even to the USA/Canada although I will tend to use Expedia for choosing accommodation over the pond (but still checking the reviews on tripadvisor) More often than not having sussed out a place on Expedia I will try and book through their own website or even phone them with a card number. Again this can lead to a significant saving.

Many people whinge and moan about airlines like Ryanair but I see them as a means to an end, simply a bus. I do not eat/drink on their planes, play by their rules in that I only take cabin luggage to the prescribed sizes and have no trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:35 pm 

Mind you having just read the Original Post (date of post) and my reply you have probably already been!! :oops:

No matter the advice is good and ok for next time.