News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm 

An introduction to direct payments: Helping people to live independently

Taken from a Hounslow Council leaflet, don’t know if Hillingdon has the same scheme or whether it goes direct to Council approved social carers or care co-ordinators in the case of the mentally ill. Some who are under private care may be given payments arranged direct to them to pay relatives (ie fuel to visit and get their shopping). This is on top of the DLA / AA that is currently under review by Central Government. Additionally the leaflet may be out of date and the scheme curtailed.

Introduction
This guide offers information to people who are thinking about joining the Direct Payments scheme in Hounslow. It tells you about who can receive direct payments, how you will receive a payment, what your responsibilities will be and what support is available.

What are direct payments?
Direct payments are about giving you more choice and control over the care services you have been assessed to receive such as assistance with personal care. You would take responsibility to buy the support and help that would normally be arranged by Housing and Community services. Housing and Community services is the new name for social services [In Hillingdon it is Adult Social Care and Housing]. This scheme is intended to support independent living. It enables you to have more say and greater choice when receiving services to meet your support needs. You can decide how your needs will be met, by whom and at what time. If you think you would like to find out more then read on.

Questions about direct payments
Who can receive direct payments
To be considered for direct payments you will have to have been assessed as qualifying for help from Housing and Community services. You can request an assessment of your needs, if you feel you are no longer able to cope with everyday life, such as managing daily tasks in your home.

Direct Payments can be made to:

People with a physical, sensory or learning disability.
People with a long term illness
People with mental health needs.
A carer of someone aged 18 and over with needs relevant to the groups of people detailed above.
Adults with parental responsibility for a child with a disability.
People over the age of 60.

What age do I have to be to receive direct payments?
At the moment you must be aged 16 and over or an adult with oarental responsibility for a disabled child.

Do Community Services have to make direct payments?
We Must discuss with you the option to have direct payments. After your assessment we have the right to refuse to offer direct payments if we think the assessed person is not able and willing to manage the scheme. However, if you disagree with the decision you have the right to complain. Details are provided in a leaflet called ‘Comments and Complaints about Social Care Services,’ which is available from the social care office.

If I receive direct payments, can I get other help from Community Services?
Yes if you qualify for another type of service.

Can my direct payments be stopped at any time?
Yes this could happen although Community Services will have to explain why. If you decide that you no longer wish to receive direct payments, you can stop at any time.

If I decide I cannot manage direct payments after joining the scheme, can I go back to receiving care from Community Services?
Yes you can change your mind and finish with the scheme at any time, but we can offer lots of different ways of support to help you manage.

What can the money be used for?
It must be used for care services that a person has been assessed by Community Services as needing. It cannot be used to purchase housing or health Services [In Hillingdon this is paid for by the discretionary top up housing benefit], or for any purpose other than that agreed by Community Services. For example, many people need help to get out of bed in the morning. You may find that the home carer employed by Community Services cannot come at the time you want. A person receiving direct payments can arrange for someone to visit them at whatever time they both agree [Such as relatives at weekends].

Will direct payments affect my other welfare benefit?
No, direct payments are separate from social security benefits and are a direct alternative to assessed Community services support. Receiving a direct payment does not affect any other benefits, but please ask us if you are concerned.

Will money from direct payments be considered as extra income?
No direct payments are ignored for income tax and benefit claims

Can payments be used to employ personal assistants to provide these services?
Yes you can do this. It would mean that you become an employer, with the same responsibilities as any other employer. [Thus you couldn’t harass them and would be governed by employment law, under advisement from your care co-ordinator, but equally the carer couldn’t steal money off you above their wages as carers have been convicted of that in the past].

Can I use the money to pay relatives to provide personal assistance?
Normally no, as your personal assistants are your employees. However in exceptional circumstances as judged by Community Services they may be employed.

Who organises back up if my personal assistant is unavailable?
You are responsible for this. You will get advice from your direct Payments advisor in setting up emergency cover.

Can direct payments be used for residential care costs?
Yes but only for short breaks or short stays to experience independent living. This should be discussed with your social worker or care co-ordinator.

What if my care needs change?
If this happens contact your care co-ordinator or social worker as soon as possible.

You will be given enough money so that you can make adequate arrangements to meet your assessed needs. The Direct Payments Support Service will work with you to get the services identified. The Council has to ensure value for money and if you choose to purchase a service which is not the best value, the council will not pay the difference.

Can someone manage the payments on my behalf?
Yes you can appoint someone to assist you, provided you make decisions about your care and how the money is spent.

Do written records have to be kept?
Yes a detailed record of how the money is spent must be kept. This will be closely examined by Community Services. For example you must set up a separate bank account to help keep separate financial records. All payments will need to be made by cheques, direct debit or standing order and not in cash. You will receive information and help on how to do this from your direct payments advisor.

What responsibilities would I have if I took part in a direct payments scheme?

You would be responsible for managing how the money was spent, keeping records, organising and paying for your care, and arranging back up in emergencies. If you employ personal assistants directly, you will be responsible for paying their wages, national insurance, income tax, sick pay, maternity pay and holiday pay. You would also be responsible for paying their wages, national insurance, income tax, sick pay, maternity pay and holiday pay.

You would also be responsible for advertising, recruiting, supervising, training and drawing up employment contracts for your personal assistants, but do not worry, we have a team of people who will guide you through this and give you support. You will receive training on these topics from your direct Payments Advisor.

What support will be available?
We realise this is complicated so have set up a support service in Hounslow on a borough wide basis. It provides information and help with all aspects of direct payments, from eligibility and assessment through to becoming an employer. If you decide to go ahead, the support provided will not do everything for you, but we will always be available throughout the process.

Can I help with some of these tasks?
Yes, not everybody can do all of these things on their own and may need help with some tasks. You will be able to contact your Direct Payments Advisor and work with one person to support you. There will be help, information and training available from the direct payments advisor and work with one person to support you. This will be in particular when joining the scheme and getting started. You will need to show that you can manage your direct payment with support. You may wish to appoint a family member or friend to assist you with these tasks.

Assessment for direct payments
You might wish to think about your care needs before you apply to join the scheme. You may find it helpful to keep a record of what you do, how long it takes, what help you receive now and what you would like to do. You may be asked to say what you think you need help with, so remember to say what you would like to be able to do. You may find it helpful to talk to a friend or relative about these matters. You could also ask to meet the direct payments advisor to talk this through as well as and concerns that you may have.

In order for community services to decide whether or not you qualify for direct payments, we (the local authority) will have to consider your answers to the following questions.

1) Do you understand what direct payments are?
2) Can you express a choice between different types of service?
3) Do you currently make other important decisions- either on your own or with assistance?
4) Would you be able to keep the necessary records- either on your own or with assistance?
5) Would you understand the legal responsibilities that will arise if you become an employer? Can you deal with them properly – either on your own or with assistance?
6) Can you ensure that you receive the services you pay for?
7) Can you manage the Direct Payments Scheme for a reasonable period of time?

People can receive help with managing direct payments, training and support will be made available. If you would like to know more about the direct payments scheme, in Hounslow, contact your Care Co-ordinator or social worker or thise that provide the service.

What do I do if I am interested in direct payments?
You should contact your social worker. You will be asked questions about your circumstances, these questions will determine if we can offer you an assessment and what type of assessment you require.