News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:43 pm 

Alms and charity in the United Kingdom, an update from the time of Orwell.

Tonight I listened to the book at bedtime on BBC Radio Four.

In it Orwell argued against the state of workhouses without purpose and being transitory as not dealing the state a good enough support for its individuals. In the abridged version the quotes slanted that Homosexuality was prevelant in the tramp class as they weren’t fit for a relationship or marriage.

However there are ways in which the United Kingdom aids its poor better now.

The following benefits are available for mental health patients and those who have physical and learning disabilities.

Disability Living Allowance
Incapacity Benefit
Income Support
Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit (kept for the impaired and possibly their carers).

To get them you need a National Insurance Number which is issued when a person is at secondary school or registered by the state as home educated (aged 13-16). There are special circumstances to claim for those under 18 on top of their national insurance contributions.

However in Hillingdon at least in the late 1990s there was an information gap that saw some people not claim National Insurance Credits. This was due to deficits at the local council and a shortage of council housing after the right to buy sales of the 1980s.

This has affected housewifes in part time employment prior to the working tax credit and the raising of the income tax threshold and a lack of Hmrc assistance and publicity until the creation of the Money advice service.

The Community Care Grants are paid for out of central state funds for fitting out the flats of disabled people. They have had donations from faith communities since the abolishing of the work houses.

However most churches do different things under churches together auspices.

In Uxbridge Today there are town centre missions by both the Anglican and Methodist churches and almshouses for the over 59s. The free church has a drop in centre on a Wednesday and mental health patients have groups twice a week at the Community Mental Health centre on the other side of the Canal. The Kingsborough church with assistance from other churches runs a foodbank

However practical advice is needed to avoid the problems against Foodbanks

A voluntary charity helps alcoholics and drug users keep clean on top of the addiction anonymous charities. HAGAM is next to the 331 High St Bus Stop and is within Old Bank House which is shared with the Crisis Team and is where Narcotics Annonymous meets.

Cocaine Annonymous meets at St Margarets Church and Alcoholics Annonymous meets at three places, St Andrews Church on a Thursday at 1pm, Monday at 8pm at the Quakers Meeting House and Friday Nights at the Town Hall (Civic Centre)

There is a recovery meeting centre in Belmont Road (the Blenheim centre) which is after care for Bowden House Clinic.

The Benefit Numbers are as follows for most of the London Borough of Hillingdon

Job Centre Plus,
Senator Court,
Belmont Road,
Uxbridge
UB8 1DP
Phone number 0845 604 3719
www.direct.gov.uk
IS/JSA/ESA/IB (benefits – BDC) 0845 608 8770 Manager: Anne Hanna
Jobseekers Direct 0845 606 0234
Pension Service 0845 606 0265
Social Fund Enquiry 0845 603 6967
Disability Living Allowance 0845 712 3456
Maternity Allowance 0845 608 8610
Benefits Enquiry Helpline 0800 882 200
Child Benefit 0845 302 1444
Healthy Start (Milk Tokens) 0845 607 6823
Tax Credits 0345 300 3900

The job centre faxes and couriers stamped copies of documents to Belfast for decisions or in the case of the social fund Battersea. (Nine Elms)

There is the Money advice service on www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk
www.hmrc.gov.uk/sortmytax

National Insurance Contributions office is at:
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1NG
0845 915 5996

They are meant to write annually.

One bit of information is that there is a Home Responsibilities Protection scheme that aids grandparents on state pension and are carers or have family responsibilities.

You can get a pension forecast on www.direct.gov.uk/pensions
08453 000 168 textphone.
08453 000 169 phone

The Church of England still has the Vicars relief fund but it works differently from parish to parish and diocese to diocese. Other churches vary in their provision.

Hence for there to be a universal credit in state there must be one in church simultaneously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm 

Also Housing benefit is given at teh civic centre 9am - 5pm

you can call the civic centre on 01895 250 111 for more information

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 pm 

There housing benefit section at the civic centre operates 9am-5pm monday -thursday and ? hours Friday. They have a ticket and pre screening recpetion for document scanning.

That is the fist point of call for claiming hoiusing and council tax benefit in the first instance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 am 

And if this government go ahead with the stupid bedroom tax and reductions in council tax benefit along with Atos tests that nobody can pass, we'll find alot of people ending up in the poor houses just like in Orwellian times :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 pm 

Exactly Jane, but they in charge don't care about the people. Also even though a lot of the government offices are there and PAID to help people, it is not until you are in that situation and look into it properly you find that even though you might be entitled to help that you are not even told. Actually Jobcentre staff are sort of encouraged to not tell you, even their Website tells you one thing, when in fact the information itself is wrong.

I had a friend recently made redundant, he used their website to register and was informed he was not entitled to JSA, I gave him a name and number in Belfast to ring and he was then told he was entitled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm 

I refuse to go cap in hand, with a tug on the forelock, to any Government body, or local council, I have paid my dues, and been robbed all my working life, now ist the time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labour. too many cons up the pipeline, like councilors who say I am doing it for you, knickers they are doing it for them greedy selves, as all politico's do. none of them could live on an old age pension, the lifestyle they have is beyond the wildest dreams of the many, doing it for us ! yeah right, then wonder why they are not trusted, number one is the objective, have you ever seen a councilor or MP on the breadline ? its them or us and no matter what they say it will allways come back to that. :o :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:17 pm 

Due to ongoing health problems I now find myself back in the situation of trying to claim benefits I have paid into for more years than I care to mention. Its an absolute nightmare, and not one I feel able to face anymore.

I don't blame the frontline staff, they have an impossible task. The cause is far higher up the chain.