News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Music
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:24 pm 

I heard 2 Christmas recordings yesterday which were especially enjoyable.

John Suchet (Classic FM) played a recording of a choir I had not heard of before. They are called The Vasari Singers and the track was of them singing a Carol Medley. Their singing, arrangements and harmonies of traditional carols were what I could only describe as exquisite.
I found the label is Naxos and the CD is called A Winter's Light. Fabulous.

The other recording I heard was played by David Humber on Hospital Radio Wey and this track has also stayed in my mind. It is Leroy Anderson's composition Sleigh Ride. It is so descriptive that the picture of a happy sleigh ride in the snow easily comes to mind. I believe that the recording is not stereo but that makes no difference to the appeal of this seasonal piece of music.
Leroy Anderson wrote many descriptive pieces including The Typewriter which I think is brilliant.
In a completely opposite mood, he captured the thoughtful and reminiscing mood of Forgotten Dreams and I have memories of learning and playing this piece in my piano lesson days.

For now, it is the Carol Medley and Sleigh Ride which are my favourites in the Choral and Light Music style but there are more Christmas records I like but they would be in a different genre, pop, middle-of-the-road and novelty.

Maybe other favourites could be added if anyone interested in Christmas music, reads this?

Marian

Post subject: Re: Christmas Music
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 pm 

Many years ago I listened to a programme from what was then Czechoslovakia, of Czech Cristmas carols, and I was struck by the way they all had this delightful combination of rhythm and tune. You hear this combination in much of Dvorák's music.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:49 am 

My favourite Christmas song .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 am 

Wow... my list is so long and so varied ... I shall have to reply when I'm sitting at a PC. Believe it or not, it does include The Pogues!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:20 pm 

As with Jon, there are so many items of classical Christmas music that I like, but if I were to choose one it would be the opening chorus of Bach's Christmas Oratorio: Christians be joyful. The first time I heard it the sound of the timpani followed by the trumpets were a perfect start, and it suits the words.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

I have uploaded Jona Lewie's recording of Stop the Cavalry in the popular music thread although it could also belong here. This is because the music is loosely based on part of the Swedish Rhapsody No1 by Hugo Alfven and also Mozart's Rondo in D Major and so there is a connection with Classical music.

The song has long been a favourite of mine and reminds me of when I first heard it whilst in the Post Office queue in Uxbridge. I couldn't wait to hear it again. ( I have written more in the popular music thread).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:56 pm 

It's incredible how particular pieces of music transport you instantly back to a certain point in your life. As soon as you mentioned Stop the Calvary, it immediately conjured up my life as it was that time, must have been Christmas 80 or 81 maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:36 pm 

Incredibly it was 1980. I can't imagine what it must be like to have written a song that long ago and it still be played now with so much popularity. It must be a marvellous feeling.

http://www.discogs.com/Jona-Lewie-Stop-The-Cavalry/release/590898